Skip to content
Do you think this t...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you think this tool is worth getting?

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have been considering on getting one of these HARMONY WHEELS to assist me with learning the Circle of Fifths. This is only one of a few different one's I found on eBay and Amazon. This one seems to have the most information but I was curious if it was worth getting or is there an easier way to learn it? I know there are free versions on the internet but none that I ahve seen as informative as this one.

Thanks

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Depends if you want an actual physical one you can carry around with you or not really (I'm tempted myself for quick ref when I'm away from a computer) - but I'll quite happily build free flash versions of any tool people can point me to or explain in enough detail (provided I'm able, of course :))

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Wow! That looks really interesting! Seems like it would make transposing on the fly a piece of cake! And, the price is definitely affordable! I just might have to get one for myself! Thanks for the post, Mikespe!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

$8.95 at sam ash

Personally I think you'd be better off spending $10.95 on David Harp's book which includes a wheel and a CD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091832159X/ref=ed_oe_p/104-6782361-0632711?%5Fencoding=UTF8

or this undiscovered gem of a book

Edly's Music Theory for Practical People - $16.95

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966161602/qid=1149737647/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-6782361-0632711?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

$8.95 at sam ash

Personally I think you'd be better off spending $10.95 on David Harp's book which includes a wheel and a CD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091832159X/ref=ed_oe_p/104-6782361-0632711?%5Fencoding=UTF8

or this undiscovered gem of a book

Edly's Music Theory for Practical People - $16.95

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966161602/qid=1149737647/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-6782361-0632711?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Thanks Nick...however I already have 2 theory books (Tom's book & The Idiot's Guide. The wheel itself looked like a useful tool to have in your case to transpose or even write songs when looking for a chord...

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If you have a guitar, you have a built in circle of fifths/cycle of fourths machine.

For any note on the fifth string, move to the same fret on the 6th string for your fifth, move to the same fret on the 4th string for your fourth or two frets towards the nut on the 6th string.

For any note on the 6th string, move two frets towards the bridge on the 5th string for your 5th, move to the same fret on the 5th string for your fourth.

So, starting on C on the 3rd fret, 5th string, doing circle of 5ths.

string fret note
5 3 C
6 3 G
5 5 D
6 5 A
5 7 E
6 7 B
5 9 Gb
6 9 Db
5 11 Ab
6 11 Eb
5 13 Bb
6 13 F
5 15 C

For cycle of fourths starting in the same place

5 3 C
6 1 F
5 1 Bb
6 11 Eb
5 11 Ab
6 9 Db
5 9 Gb
6 7 B
5 7 E
6 5 A
5 5 D
6 3 G
5 3 C

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ggreen67)

I have the Music Theory Made Easy by David Harp. Does not include a wheel or CD. Decent book however.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well I ended up buying this wheel and it came in yesterday. It definitely is not for a beginner but you don't need to be a master the3orist to use it. I think it will be very useful to keep in the case. I also got The Portable Guitar Work Bench & POWER WINDER and those also are nice. You could make the guitar bench but after supplies and time it's not worth the hassle.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There are two versions of Harp's book. Both come with instructions to make the wheel as far as I remember. Only one comes with the CD.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Be careful with that winder there is potential to break strings! As for the work bench its a nice showpiece, but I've got a stand I made in 10 minutes with a clamp to hold it steady. Guess I'm going to have to market mine on Ebay ,I'll sell for $15 just to rile that guy :twisted:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I think stuff like that is completely unecessary. You can easily use your guitar to accomplish the same thing knowing only a tad bit of theory. Do you know how to play a I IV V progression ie (G C D) using barre chords? If so you've almost got all the info you need to fill in the blanks for every key. The I IV V is your major chords, the rest are minor, except for the 7th chord in the key which you can either play diminished, major, minor or leave out entirely. Please note: this is BASIC theory I'm talking about. The only thing left you need to know is the notes in the keys. Most guitar based songs are in A C G E or D, and maybe F so all you have to do is remember the accidentals in each key and apply it to the major and minor chords and there you go.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

To each his own I guess!

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

Well, you asked if there was an easier way to learn it. I've been down that road - getting all the books, charts, diagrams, etc. and it get's overwhelming. If the goal is to actually learn how to use theory to better play the instrument, it's far better to learn theory as it applies to playing. If the goal is to have a quick reference for keys, relative minors, etc. then that's a great compact device.

For example:
If you can play G, C, D, and you know the only accidental in the key of G is F# then you automatically know all the other chords are minor save the 7th which doesn't really come into play in 99% of popular music except as a passing tone or something. Ok, you have the keys of G and Em done.

Do the same with C, F, G - all the other chords are minor. The key of C and Am are done.

Do the same with F, Bb, C - now you have F and Dm learned.

There are two sharps in D, and 3 in A, 4 in E. Get those notes in your head and you've learned that whole wheel using that initial I IV V pattern.

Guitar is very pattern based. I'm not knocking buy the wheel or any other tool. You asked, and I'm merely suggesting that the info that wheel provides is literally under your fingertips if you learn some simple patterns to navigate by.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Mike,
if you can remember F, C, G, D, A, E, B, you can remember the circle of fifths.
http://people.freenet.de/greybeard/CycleOfFifths.htm

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@shredgeek)
Eminent Member

If you have a guitar, you have a built in circle of fifths/cycle of fourths machine.

For any note on the fifth string, move to the same fret on the 6th string for your fifth, move to the same fret on the 4th string for your fourth or two frets towards the nut on the 6th string.

For any note on the 6th string, move two frets towards the bridge on the 5th string for your 5th, move to the same fret on the 5th string for your fourth.

So, starting on C on the 3rd fret, 5th string, doing circle of 5ths.

string fret note
5 3 C
6 3 G
5 5 D
6 5 A
5 7 E
6 7 B
5 9 Gb
6 9 Db
5 11 Ab
6 11 Eb
5 13 Bb
6 13 F
5 15 C

For cycle of fourths starting in the same place

5 3 C
6 1 F
5 1 Bb
6 11 Eb
5 11 Ab
6 9 Db
5 9 Gb
6 7 B
5 7 E
6 5 A
5 5 D
6 3 G
5 3 C
That is great advice and I'm glad you pointed that out. After all that is why the guitar is designed the way it is (with standard tuning).... no need to buy a "Harmony Wheel" or whatever it is. There are even other ways (patterns) such as this that demonstrate the circle of 5ths/fourths....among other things....

ReplyQuote