Dominant pentatonic

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everybody :D

I have just watched a video on YouTube (I am still getting used to this iPad and have no idea how to copy links I'm afraid).
a
Anyway, the guy played a very exotic sounding solo using what was basically a minor pentatonic scale, but with the major third (he also added the monor third in the scale too, although I didn't see him use it much in his solo).

Anyway, one of the comments called this a dominant pentatonic, a term I haven't heard before, is this correct?

I was wondering what type of chord progression this scale is most commonly used over, and which mode it is derived from? I was thinking that given it is basically a major scale with a minor seventh, that it would be derived from the myxolydian scale?

However, whenever I use myxolydian I tend to use it in combination with the blues scale as I play it over blues chord progressions and never get the type of exotic sound I saw on the video??

Thanks in advance, Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@richcochrane)

I like to teach students to add the major 3, b5 or major 7 to the common minor pentatonic. I don't really teach these as separate scales, although a lot of people think of the second one as "the blues scale". It's a good way to learn how the minor pentatonic relates to the chord tones (3, 5, b7) and they do sound very cool.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have no idea of those scales but it seems this guy defines it in a different way. He gives some uses, too.

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/dominant-pentatonic-scale/

Hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

"Dominant" scales have a 3 and b7, the two notes that create tension in a dominant 7th chord. "Pentatonic" is any scale with five notes. That means there are several possible interpretations, especially since it's not a standard scale name.

The link Nuno provided defines a dominant pentatonic as 1-2-3-5-b7; that's a major pentatonic, with the b7 replacing 6 (or if you'd prefer, a minor pentatonic with the b3 raised). Either one will get you all the tones of a dominant chord of the same root, 1-3-5-b7; the 2 in the scale actually makes it a dominant 9th arpeggio.

Other videos and websites consider a 'dominant pentatonic' to be 1-3-4-5-7. This logic is a little more bizarre: if you're in C, the dominant seventh chord is G7; G7 gets tension from the tritone between F and B, so both are included in the scale. As it's common to leave the 5th out of 7th chords and larger extensions, this makes the scale a combination of a C major arpeggio (C-E-G) and a G7 arpeggio without the fifth (G-B-F).

How you use it, and where it can be used, depends on which scale you're talking about.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@richcochrane)

...and both of these pentatonics can also be thought of as Major Scale modes you (presumably) already know with two notes dropped out:

1 2 3 5 b7 = Mixolydian without the 4 or 6
1 3 4 5 7 = Major (Ionian) without the 2 or 6

The page Nuno linked to suggests using the first of these in a modal application where it becomes:

1 2 3 #4 6 = Lydian without 5 or 7

but in context (a dominant 7 chord) it's probably best thought of as Lydian Dominant without the 5 or b7.

I'm not sure how useful it is to break your head studying these in detail but it can definitely be fun to play around with them as a way to break out of ruts when you play familiar scales.

As for naming, as NoteBoat suggests people attach all sorts of names to different scales; IMHO it's always safest just to spell the scale out.

ReplyQuote