Clear all

Fitting licks into improv

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I seem to have a problem with incorporating learned licks into my solos during improvisation. I have been playing for about 6 years and have learned a lot of great licks through playing Clapton, SRV, etc., but when I start soloing it seems like I forget everything I learned from them and just stick to the blues and pentatonic scales. I know they created their licks from these scales but I am no Clapton or Hendrix, so what I create from these scales and what they create are two totally different sounds.

For example, I learned a great lick two weeks ago for a blues song during the V to IV change, and when I was playing with some guys yesterday I completely forgot to play it the whole time, even though I went into the jam session intent on playing that lick.

I guess what I am asking is does anyone have a method of practicing that really drills licks into your subconsciousness, so that they just come out at the right time during improv, rather than having to force yourself to remember to use them at the specific instant. Thanks, any help on this issue would be great.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

You just have to get to the point where the licks are part of your musical vocabulary.

Perhaps focus less on learning more licks at this point and focus more on incorporating some elements from a lick into a bit of solo work you're doing.

For example, maybe you're learning a SRV lick and you really like how he's doing some 6-9 counterpoint in the middle of a run. What you should do is focus on figuring out how to do similar runs and incorporate 6-9 counterpoint.

Move it to different keys. Play it at different positions on the neck. Every chance you have to incorporate that one thing, do so.

What you want to do is build your own musical vocabulary, not just play someone else's lick.

Now once you're to the point where that aspect of the lick is under your belt, look at what else is there. If you like some other aspect of the lick, go through the process of making it your own.

As you do this you give yourself the ability to create versus the ability to immitate. And that's the key point.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, that makes perfect sense, considering my goal is to become a great improviser rather than a great imitator. :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i used to think that way, trying to play this way or that way. now, i mostly just play and see what my hands will do.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

One thing that helps is to do finger exercizes to build up the small muscles in your hands by doing patterns or licks which are hard to play. By practicing them until they become easy, your fingers will be easier manipulate on the fly. I like to learn new solos and study whichlicks are played over which chords, then transpose them as above.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote