fretboard logic and scales - missing notes

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi everyone - i'm working on the scales section of the book fretboard logic and have noticed that the scale forms do not hit all the notes of the scale. for example, the c form open scale, which the writer indicates as a c scale, is missing an F, B, etc.

for those who understand this stuff well, is their still a benefit to learning these scale forms if they don't have all the notes in them? sorry if this is a simple (or stupid) question. just tried playing the C scale and it doesn't sound right to me.

thanks!

pab

(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

C major with the F and B missing is the C major pentatonic (1-2-3-5-6).

Does he not mention pentatonic in the text?

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks lee for the reply! he does mention the term along with mentioning a number of other scales, all on page 13 of the text. he says that it is the most basic of the scales. i just didn't realize that this meant that these were the scales that he was utilizing. however, i've been at the guitar for less than a year so this might be absolutely a "no-brainer" to others who read this book. of course i might have missed it elsewhere but i don't remember reading it.

thanks again for the clarification and helping me out on this!

pab

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I've just taken a look in the book. If you know your scale patterns you would look at that page and instantly know what he is talking about but..

I have to admit from a beginners perspective those few pages aren't presented very well. I think the author presumes you will read all of the text (which isn't a good thing to presume for a reference book) but even then I think it could have been made clearer than it is and IMO should say major pentatonic alongside the diagrams.

ReplyQuote