Notifications
Clear all

G Chord

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@alexander)
Topic starter  

Why is the G chord written in two different ways? (230002) and (230022).

All hail to the thief.

(@musicdisciple)

Firstly you have a bit of a typo. G can be played as 320033 or 320003. A major chord contains 3 notes. They are the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the major scale. In the case of G these notes are G, B and D. Since we have 6 stings we can double some of these notes, more or less based on what's convenient. In one of the fingerings you'd play 3 Gs, 2 Bs and 1 D. In the other fingering you'd play 3 Gs, 1 B and 2 Ds.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Going off what musicdisciple said, you can play a given chord in all kinds of places along the fretboard and get all different kinds of voicings of the same sound. Just as long as you have the right notes, you can get the chord. This applies to all chords, too, not just major ones. You can also arranged the voicings further by adjusting the relative tone of the notes in the chord. This is called inversion, I believe. I'm a bit rusty on my terminology  ::)

Usually, the notes which are most likely to be repeated are the 5th and the 1st. I've seen one or two cases of the third being doubled, but this isn't as common.

Hope this helped  :)

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Here's my favorite list of chord voicings.  It's an incredible resource.  Check out the number of G chord voicings given:  63 shapes for G alone!

http://www.jmdl.com/howard/guitarchords/index.html

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As a matter of interest play an open A (x03330) and then a barre A (577655) - they sound almost the same, but not quite. Each voicing has it's own character, even though the chord is the same (check it out with a guitar tuner - play both the A chords with the tuner switched on and they will both show A).
Also try it with a G (3x0003 and 355433)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alexander)
Topic starter  

Firstly you have a bit of a typo. G can be played as 320033 or 320003. A major chord contains 3 notes. They are the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the major scale. In the case of G these notes are G, B and D. Since we have 6 stings we can double some of these notes, more or less based on what's convenient. In one of the fingerings you'd play 3 Gs, 2 Bs and 1 D. In the other fingering you'd play 3 Gs, 1 B and 2 Ds.

Thanks. :)

All hail to the thief.

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

As a matter of interest play an open A (x03330)

I think you got your fingering numbers and fret numbers a bit mixed onthat one bud... ;)

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

Why is the G chord written in two different ways? (230002) and (230022).

its a different voicing, there are loads and loads

like all these are G chords...

230XXX
XXX00(10)
XXX543X
X(10)(9)(7)XX

its just doubling notes, any combination of notes that has G, B, and D, is a G major chord. There isnt just one way to play it.

ReplyQuote
(@alexander)
Topic starter  

I ment two different ways on the same pitch. I knew you could play it different, but I didn't know that there were also more possibility's to play it on the same pitch. I saw Oasis plays 320033 and Radiohead plays 320003

All hail to the thief.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

oops  :-[ :-[ :-[

x02220 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexander: A G consists of G - B- D. The two voicings that you show just swap a B for a D (drop a iii and add a V).

Oasis seem to do this to avoid unnecessary finger movement. Take Wonderwall, it consists of
Em7 - 022033
G - 320033
Dsus4 - xx0233
A7sus4 - x02033
Cadd9 - x32033

The all use the same fingering on the B and high e strings (33) - just plonk ring and pinky in place and leave 'em there.

To play G as 320003 wouldn't make sense here.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote