Clear all

Gm+ Chord!?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@julzrob)
Topic starter  

Hi I have just signed up and need help.

I have a chord chart for ' I'll Remember April' by Don Ray, Gene de Paul and Pat Johnson. I was given it a few years back by an old guitar teacher who was a big Django Reinhardt fan. One of the chords though is Gm+! Is there such a chord?

I am sure someone here can help me as it as kept me awake at night trying to work it out.

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I personally have never heard of a Gm+ chord. The only thing I can think of is that it's a variation on the Gm chordshape. If you start with your basic Gm chord it looks like this:

Then, there are variations of the Gm chord:

It could possibly be one of those. But, please, don't hold me to it! I'm sure NoteBoat or someone will come along with the exactly correct response, if I'm wrong.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@julzrob)
Topic starter  

Hey Electrablue,
Thanx for the quick and helpful response. I want someone to tell me that there is no such chord and then I can use one of yours!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's no such thing.

A "+" in a chord name indicates the fifth is raised; a "m" shows the third is lowered. So Gm+ would be the notes G-Bb-D#.

But there's no such thing. Instead, we'd call the D# an Eb, and we'd have Eb-G-Bb... which is an Eb major chord.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@julzrob)
Topic starter  

Well thank you Noteboat,

My mind is at rest.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I googled up a chord chart and found one for that song:

http://www.songtrellis.com/picture$1265

Is it close to what you've got?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@julzrob)
Topic starter  

Sorry I have not been back for a while. But I want to say thanks for all the help. Especially the chord chart.
The one I have is for the first 8 bars is:
Gmaj7/Gmaj7/C7/C7/
Gm/Gm+/Gm6/Gm+/
YOu can see how confusued I got.But I will now use the one you have posted. Thanks again.
Much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@humblefly)

A Gm+ chords might be a G minor chord with a #5. I've seen a Bm#5 chord quite a few times.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A Gm+ chords might be a G minor chord with a #5. I've seen a Bm#5 chord quite a few times.

Bm7#5 maybe. Bm#5, never. The notes would be B-D-Fx (F double sharp - same sound as G natural).

G-B-D is a G major chord. It won't sound minor, so why call it one?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@humblefly)

Bm7#5 maybe. Bm#5, never. The notes would be B-D-Fx (F double sharp - same sound as G natural).

G-B-D is a G major chord. It won't sound minor, so why call it one?

The Bm#5 chord i mentioned was one with the notes B F# D and an added G note. It can sound a little dissonant if you force it into a slot where a Bm chord would go, depending on your preference you could also call it a Gmaj7.

As far as the original post, the Gm+ chord could be asking for G Bb D#.

ReplyQuote
(@dylan-schwartz)
Eminent Member

The one I have is for the first 8 bars is:
Gmaj7/Gmaj7/C7/C7/
Gm/Gm+/Gm6/Gm+/

The effect they're going for here is a G pedal tone in the second 4 bars.

Above the pedal tone they want moving line of D, Eb, E, Eb. It's the old James Bond theme trick.

So, any way that you can find of holding down G and Bb [The 1st and b3rd of a Gm chord], while moving the third voice from D to Eb to E to Eb will work.

BTW, by James Bond, I mean this thing [which is inappropriate for jazz but kinda gets the point across]:

35XXXX, 36XXXX, 37XXXX, 36XXXX

For an old school jazz standard try:

3X033X, 3X134X. 3X235X, 3X134X

Hope that helps.

Chicago Guitar, Bass, and Improvisation Teacher
blog.stillstrings.com
www.stillstrings.com
http://www.myspace.com/buddhajones

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

It's the old James Bond theme trick.

D'oh! Of course!

Once again, context saves the day....

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote