Notifications
Clear all

harmonizing scales

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@euge453)
Topic starter  

hey, im just starting with theory and stuff.
i know how to harmonize the major scales (i think. correct me if im wrong. the root is major, second and third are minor, fourth is major, fifth is dominant seventh or major, sixth is minor and seventh is diminished or diminished seventh.) assuming what i did for the major scale is right, i know how to do the natural minor scale too (which is 1-minor 2- dim/dim7 3-major 4- minor 5- minor 6- major 7- major/dom7). that leaves me with the melodic minor scale and the harmonic minor scales. how do you harmonize them? if im confused about any of this, please tell me

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You're almost right - the seventh degree is a diminished triad or a half-diminished seventh (often written as m7b5). The difference is in the 7th note - a fully diminished 7th is 1-b3-b5-bb7, while a half-diminished 7th is 1-b3-b5-b7.

To harmonize any diatonic scale - that is, one which has one note of each letter name - you simply take the note that's in the scale. If you were harmonizing the A harmonic minor, any G note in a chord would be replaced with G#. That would give you:

i = A-C-E = A minor
ii = B-D-F = B diminished
III = C-E-G# = C augmented
iv = D-F-A = D minor
V = E-G#-B = E major
VI = F-A-C = F major
vii = G#-B-D = G# diminished

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@euge453)
Topic starter  

whoaaaa. i actually get it now. :)
youre my hero

ReplyQuote
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member

I guess I don't get it. I thought that A minor was the relative minor of C major, a key with no sharps. I don't understand why the G would be a G#.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I guess I don't get it. I thought that A minor was the relative minor of C major, a key with no sharps. I don't understand why the G would be a G#.

Because it's the harmonic minor not the natural minor.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

There are three minor scales. The natural minor has the same notes as its relative major, the harmonic minor sharps the seventh degree of the scale, and the melodic minor sharps it on the way up but not the way down (I may have switched that).

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

There are three minor scales. The natural minor has the same notes as its relative major, the harmonic minor sharps the seventh degree of the scale, and the melodic minor sharps it on the way up but not the way down (I may have switched that).

The harmonic minor sharps the seventh degree. The meldoic minor sharps the 6th and the 7th (to avoid that nasty 1.5 step gap), traditionally only up but not down, although that is changing as more and more people ignore the directionality of the music and just go with the 2 extra sharps. If you change the notes back down the scale you don't sharp either the 6th or the 7th on the way down.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member

Thanks. This just shows I have A LOT of theory to learn.

ReplyQuote