Clear all

Harmony

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been looking at some harmony where the note in the melody(it's in A by the way) is not present in the accompaniment. At first the melody is a G# while the guitar plays a D chord. The notes in a D chord being D F# A and the intervals to G# being a Tritone, Major Second and Major Seventh respectively the melody and accompaniment clash(because they are dissonant intervals).

The next note in melody is F# while the guitar stays on D so this time the intervals are a Major Third, Unison and a Major Sixth. These being consonant intervals the melody and accompaniment are harmonious(in the non technical use of the word).

Now the guitar goes to Bm and the melody to E so the two clash again. Now the guitar stays on Bm and the melody goes to A, however this time 5th of the Bm is a minor third away so it is partly harmonious. This 1 third consonant interval continues till the guitar is on E major and the melody is a B so all intervals are consonant so the harmony seems to have resolved.

I was hoping someone could confirm what I've written above?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes - that sounds like a pretty accurate explanation

Now the guitar goes to Bm and the melody to E so the two clash again. Now the guitar stays on Bm and the melody goes to A, however this time 5th of the Bm is a minor third away so it is partly harmonious. This 1 third consonant interval continues till the guitar is on E major and the melody is a B so all intervals are consonant so the harmony seems to have resolved.

The 3rd of B minor (D) is a 5th away from A - so that's another consonant interval present. But no matter how many consonant intervals are in a chord, it takes just one dissonant interval to make the whole chord dissonant.

ReplyQuote
(@outlaw-pete)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I couldn't find much on anything other than the most basic harmony so this is a big help.

ReplyQuote