Harmony and Melody

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
thectrain
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I like to think of things as changes to a basic underlying principle. Something like the major scale. So when for example I am thinking Mixolydian mode I think bVII right away.

I understand that modes are not supposed to be related to harmony but can you make harmony and modal melody play nice? For example in Mixolydian again you have the bVII. So that immediatly says to me I7 would be a perfect chord to play. Also Vm makes sense because the VII has been flatted. Without being right by an instrument I would think this would imply a melody with a Mixolydian feel and give direction for a lead melody.

So is this right? I never really use modes because as I said above its all changes to the major scale to me. But I am interested in hearing the thoughts on this.

Thanks,
thectrain

Fretsource
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I understand that modes are not supposed to be related to harmony but can you make harmony and modal melody play nice?

I've never heard that before. Sure, you can have nice modal melodies and harmony. An example of a mixolydian chord sequence is the long end section of "Hey Jude". And there are many others.

The danger (in your example) of using the flatted seventh on the tonic chord, however, is that unless you prepare your listener's ear properly, your chord might be heard as the dominant seventh of the subdominant key - which wasn't your intention.

ReplyQuote