Clear all

high or low fret bars?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I hope this to be an interesting review of player thoughts on guitars that have tall fret bars vs. ones that have short ones.  Which do you like and specifically why?

I never really notice that my fret bars seem pretty tall on my SG but it comes into play when I slide from an open D to d shape A 7th fret (then to d shape G 10th fret).  On the long slide I can feel my fingertips hitting the fretbars.

string 1  ---2--- to----7----to---10----  
string 2  ---3--- to----8----to---11----
string 3  ---2--- to----7----to---10----  
string 4  ---0---  
string 5  ---X---  
string 6  ---X---  

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Fret wire comes in different profiles, and it's largely a matter of choice.  Higher frets last a wee bit longer (after 10 years or so, I get noticeable grooves in my frets and have to get them redone -- worn frets make notes out of tune), while short ones are better for slides, as you've found.

Tom

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

Jumbo frets have a similar effect to the scalloped fretboard I believe it was said.

Work for perfection everyday, everyday you will get closer

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One of the drawbacks of high frets is that there is more room for excessive pressure on the strings to cause the note to be pulled out of tune

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote