Clear all

How long is a note?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Im learning about notation currently and understand a little about how to write down notes but i cant figure out how long a note actually is when playing it. If I was to pick a note or a chord on my guitar how would It actually be in terms of real time? Would I have to count for a second, would 4 sixteenth notes be strummed quickly to fit in a second?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Notes are relative measures... as in relative to each other, not to a stopwatch.

You can look at a whole note and say "that's four times as long as a quarter note", but that doesn't tell you how long it lasts.

To figure out how long, you need to know two other things:

1. The tempo (the number of beats per minute)
2. The note that represents one beat

Tempo is given by either MM=x or bpm=x. MM stands for Maelzel's Metronome; bpm is often used instead, especially by tabbers.

The note that represents the beat is given by the time signature. If you're in 4/4 time, it's a quarter note, 3/16 time is a sixteenth note, 7/8 time is an eighth note, etc.

So in 4/4, MM=60, there are four sixteenth notes per second.... but in 3/16 MM=120 there are only two.

Make sense?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Tempo is also often noted with a little picure of a note to tell you which note value equals one beat, than an equals sign and the number of beats per minute. That's my favorite way to do it, since I don't have to wonder whether I was thinking of the proper note value when I chose my time signature after I forget the tempo and come back to the song.

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How would I right down a chord, since it is more than one note at the same time would I write the required notes on top of eachother?

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

How would I right down a chord, since it is more than one note at the same time would I write the required notes on top of eachother?

Yes, you would just write the different notes of the chord in the same column vertically on the staff.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

They should all share the same stem.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Tempo is also often noted with a little picure of a note to tell you which note value equals one beat, than an equals sign and the number of beats per minute. That's my favorite way to do it, since I don't have to wonder whether I was thinking of the proper note value when I chose my time signature after I forget the tempo and come back to the song.

I prefer to see it this way, too.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote