Clear all

How would I write this ?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I was playing around and I made a cool little vamp that consisted of Fmaj - Bbmaj- Abmaj- Bbmaj ( kinda like a very puerto rican groove ) the stresses are ( beats ) 1(Fmaj) upbeat of 2(Bbmaj) upbeat of 4(Abmaj) and upbeat of 2(Bbmaj). And after 2 runs around the whole thing I do a C7 to do a sort of turnaround.

So I guess this kinda works like a blues I-IV-V because of the whole b3 in the Ab So I'd be playing:

F-A-C Bb-D-F Ab-C-Eb and then turnaround with C-E-G-Bb

My guess for why the Ab-C-Eb works is because of the Eb being the b7 and well Ab is the b3, and it sounds all right cause its kinda bluesy like b3 over the major 3rd thing.

So would I write this I-IV-bIII-IV ( and eventually V-I and start over ) ?

To improvise over this I found the Fminor scale to work just like it would in a blues progression, maybe I could use F Phrygian over this which would be the same notes as C#major or Bbminor , I don't know I'll have to test that one out.

So can anybody tell me any other reason why that sounds good and if my way of writing it is correct? thank you

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@alangreen)

Using the flattened III major (Ab-C-Eb) works because it's used as a passing chord, and the notes are very close to those in the dominant chord (C-E-G) so the ear hears I-IV-V-IV rather than i-IV-bIII-IV.

Yes, write it I-bIII-IV-bIII- with a V7-I at the cadence point.

The notes in your chords are F-A-C, Ab-C-Eb, Bb-D-F and C-E-G-Bb. Put those in order and you get F-G-Ab-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-E-F

and the notes of the F harmonic minor scale are F-G-Ab-Bb-C-Db-E-F - so the clashes around A/Ab, D/Db and E/Eb will give you that bluesy sound.

F phrygian (in the key of Db) would use the notes F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C-Db-Eb-F - very close to the F harmonic minor scale

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ahh right it would be Db, cause if it was C# then it would be E# whoops, I counted backwards from F, so I would be playing the same scale but I called it wrong ( although I could just call it F phrygian and be done with it ).

So I could also use the harmonic minor scale.... hmm...

Thank you!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yeah - C# has 7 sharps in the key signature

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote