Clear all

How would you describe a sixth chord?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok We all know a major chord is up-lifting, a minor is sad, a fifth gives us power, a sus four is an unfinished sound, a dominant seventh is bluesy, a major seventh is romantic , a ninth is jazzy...but I don't have a cool description for a major sixth....any thoughts?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

How about "dreamy"? Although, personally, I think of Maj 7ths like that. It's very subjective

Also, don't forget that a maj 6th chord has exactly the same notes as the minor 7th chord 3 semitones lower, e.g., G6 = GBDE, Em7 = EGBD

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

They sound rather bright to me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A major 6th is just a minor chord in a first inversion.

Am7 = A C E G

C6 = C E G A

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A major 6th is just a minor chord in a first inversion.

Am7 = A C E G

C6 = C E G A

Hi Kingpatzer. Yes , theoretically it is an inverted minor seventh, but how does it sound to you? It is more subtle than a sad (minor) chord .I liked the Fretsource idea: 'dreamy'..I read somewhere that it sounds like a harp. IN an article about chords I read that it is sweet, loved by some people and hated by others. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I dunno, I've always just thought of it as "one of those jazzy chords." Never gave it much thought, but that doesn't mean I'd say it sounds "thoughtless." :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I don't think any chords can be accurately described in words, because so much depends on the context. That 'dreamy' C6 doesn't sound so dreamy when it comes right after Gb7.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

From Flight of the Conchords:

Problems with the New Zealand accent, (Bret sounds like he's saying his name "Brit")

-Sign-holding girl is talking with Bret, learns he's in a band, and asks his name.
Girl: What's your name?
Bret: Bret.
Girl: "Bette"?
Bret: Bret.
Girl: ---
Girl: "Brit? Like Britney?"
Bret: No, Bret. B-R-E-T.
Girl: Oh, it sounds like... Brit... you have a cool British accent!
Bret: Uh, New Zealand.
Girl: Ohhh... they have vikings there, right?
Bret: ---
Bret: Uh, YEAH!
Girl: My friend LOVES New Zealand. She's a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan.

So how about if we call the sixth chord...."Sixxy"

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I don't think any chords can be accurately described in words, because so much depends on the context. That 'dreamy' C6 doesn't sound so dreamy when it comes right after Gb7.

Yes it does - It's a nightmare :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've always thought of sixths as dreamy, mellow chords - probably because the first one I ever picked up on was in "Band On The Run" where it alternates with a Dmaj7 chord. However, it's also a good chord to finish a song with - the Beatles did it with "She Loves You" and Rod & The Faces did it with "Cindy Incidentally," which also uses a 6th chord in the main riff - A6 alternating with Em, resolving to a D chord.

There is another use of them, though - as a powerchord in the blues/rock shuffle.

A5 - 5 7 x x x x
A6 - 5 9 x x x x
A7 - 5 10 x x x x

I wonder how many 6th chords Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt have used over the past 40 years or so!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot people!! Glad to hear from you all :))
and yes Vic this is my feeling too about the Beatles' use of sixths'. (and I definitely have to hear much more Status Quo stuff !)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

To my ears, 6th chords seem "off." Unsettling. Cool, but something seems "wrong" with them. Just me. I have not been exposed to a vast amount of chords...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote