Clear all

in a rut!!!

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok firstly go easy on me im not great with my theory!!!

my problem is this;every time i write a solo/lead i seem to be stuck in the bluesbox!!
im sure its subconsious,but i dont feel im playin to my full capability!!basically i stick to groups like this;
e--8 10
a--8 10
d--8 10
g--8 10
b--7 9
e--8 10
with the occasional 3 note slide out, but generally thats it.
can anyone reccomend any good practices to widen my horizons?im lookin for a blues/rock/metal sound
cheers :twisted:

"forever stronger than all"

dimebag darrell[rip]

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I have never seen a scale that looks like that. :(

Learn the blues scale (minor pentatonic w/ an added flat 5th). Dont do that box thing that youre doing. Learn the notes of the key (and learn them well). And, learn them everywhere on the fretboard.

After you have learned that scale in three keys, get a backing track to solo over and practice soloing over it until youre blue in the face.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Unless I've boobed, those notes are C, D, F, G, A#, C, D#, F, F#, G#, C, D.
That's no scale I've even seen - certainly not with D/D#, F/F# and G/G# in it. Looking at the circle of fifths, those sharps do appear in a sequence F#, C#, G#, D#, A# - but that's in the key of B and you have no "B's" in your "scale".
Learn the major scale, then the pentatonic, by note, then by position on the fretboard.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You could re-write Greybeard's notation to eliminate most of the duplicate letter names:

C-D-F-G-Bb-C-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-C-D - but that still leaves you with G and Gb.

This gives you two possibilities:

C-D-Eb-F-Gb-G-Ab-Bb, which is 1-2-b3-4-b5-5-b6-b7... the C blues scale with an added 2 and b6.

The other possibilitiy is that C isn't the root. Many scales use a 'leading tone' - a note that's a half step below the root - and using that logic, and the fact that B, E, and A are flat (but not D), you could be in Eb:

Eb-F-Gb-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb, 1-2-b3-3-4-5-6-7. That's a combination of the Eb major scale and the Eb melodic minor (ascending) scale.

So it's not completely off the wall to say it's a 'scale'.

But it's not what we usually think of as a scale... because only the C and F appear in every octave. The word 'scale' comes from the Latin word for 'ladder'... the notes are arranged like the rungs of a ladder, and the pattern is the same in every octave. That would give you this for either interpretation (bold notes are roots in C, italic ones are roots in Eb):

e 8 10 11
B 8 9 11
G 8 10 11
D 8 10 12
A 8 9 10 11
E 8 10 11

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

okay,can i get away with the im a pioneer excuse??!?
secondly do any of you guys know any good online[or book] sources for me to start fresh with my obviously failing theory???!!
thanx guys

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

http://www.guitarlessonworld.com is good and it has won some awards...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

This site right here is a lot better. Start with the theory section.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

This site right here is a lot better. Start with the theory section.

Absolutely! I always read Alan and Noteboat's post all the way through, even if I understand only 3 words. I know that at some point a bit will click, fitting in what I already know. Almost everytime I read one of their deep, theory-laced posts I walk away with a bit more than I started.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Sticking to blues box, eh?

I have the same problem, but not exactly - I tend to stick to pentatonics, instead of using full scales. I know all the modes of the pentatonics and the full scales, and I will use them, but I just seem to get stuck in the pentatonic, because I suppose I practice it more? Or maybe it's just the sound. I don't know.

But yeah - learn your scales inside out, and learn the modes of those scales. That means that you'll have to learn the blues/pentatonic scale in all positions of the fretboard in a given key, so you can use it in your soloing.

If you're going for metal, as well, practice chromatic changes (simple; they're just half-steps, so you go fret by fret). This will give you some etra options in your soloing, and you can also emply octaves to get you around the fretboard.

But as the others said, you're going to need to learn a bit of theory - it won't be serious music theory, per se, but guitar theory. It'll help.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

will do dudes,thank you all for not callin me an idiot!!!ill hit the theory then!!!

cheers!!!

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

Most people start exactly the same way. There's sort of a saying among guitarists - "get out of the box man!" So you're not alone. The scale you posted was one of the minor pentatonics. Very easy to use in blues and rock. To get out of the box, I learned more boxes. I recommend learning these:

ReplyQuote