Clear all

Is there a name for this tuning?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, I found a tab for "Venus In Furs" by the Velvet Underground......instructions are to tune the guitar down a semitone...

Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb.....

Then tune the 1st string down another tone....

Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Db.....

OK, if it was the bottom E string that was being tuned down a tone, I'd call it drop Eb tuning (I think!) but I'm not sure how you'd refer to this tuning?

And on a related subject - if you're in Standard tuning, then tune BOTH E strings down to D, is that what's known as double drop-D tuning?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

OK, I found a tab for "Venus In Furs" by the Velvet Underground......instructions are to tune the guitar down a semitone...

Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb.....

Then tune the 1st string down another tone....

Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Db.....

OK, if it was the bottom E string that was being tuned down a tone, I'd call it drop Eb tuning (I think!) but I'm not sure how you'd refer to this tuning?

I'd call the tuning drop-D and then just state that the whole guitar is tuned down a half-step. If I just called it drop-Eb, then I think people might try tuning Eb, A, D, G, B, E (weird, I know, but I'm sure some would initially interpret it like this. I don't think it really matters though, as long as your clear overall (you could do as the official tabs do and just put the tuning next to the tab, string by string).
And on a related subject - if you're in Standard tuning, then tune BOTH E strings down to D, is that what's known as double drop-D tuning?

yup - Dave Hodge did a Neil Young lesson (Cinammon Girl) a few weeks back in this tuning (I didn't know it was called double drop D 'til going through it either, lol). https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/cinnamon-girl/

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote