Clear all

Keeping Time

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Any suggestions for any good ways to keep time while playing in a band or something. My drummer was getting a bit frustrated with me yesterday and it was a bit where he just huits the same drum very fast and I play notes very fast and change for the first note at the fourth beat and for the others every second beat. I eneded having to count to myself out loud. And because of what the drummer was playing he wasn't really helping. He only starts getting into a major rythm for me in the main part of the song. So...any advice would be great!

Cheers!

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Do you practice at home with a metronome? I find it invaluable, although at times frustrating...

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah...I have a metronome. But I'm talking about when I don't have one...like during a gig and the drummer for that moment isn't playing the part of one.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You need to internalize the pulse of the music. Sometimes that takes counting, sometimes it takes 'feel' - metronomes are good to help develop a sense of regular pulse, but you need to practice both with and without them (so it doesn't become a crutch you can't live without).

I wrote an article for GN on Keeping Time a while back that might help.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

the foot and floor method! Just stomp your foot to get the beat, then you can play in tempo with drums when they're not even playing.... THe drummer should also be able to pick up your beat when your playing, a band is a team and everyone must do thier part to ensure the progressive learning of the team. Maybe while you are practicing have your drummer do a nice line of about 12 beats followed by 4 or 6 beats with nothing, this will teach you both to keep good tempo while theres nothing to relate it too. Good luck!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@creem)
Eminent Member

^good advice.

Tapping your foot is a good technique, but being on the same page as the rest of your band is also necessary. If you're not singing into a mike or anything, maybe it would help for you to turn around (or at least halfway) and make eye contact with your drummer.

If you really want to get the time down, you could rig up a metronome to play out of a sound system, so you could crank it up and have your whole band practice those few measures of whatever you're having trouble keeping in time.

ReplyQuote