Notifications
Clear all

Key Center and Roman Numerals

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@taesoo)
Topic starter  

Hi I got stuck on the below Blues progression and very confused. I wish I could find Key center so that I could make Roman Numerals for easy memorizing. I tried to devide three groups based on Key center, but I am not sure my devisions are right or not. If it is right the first group is Key of G minor, shouldn't the Am7 change to Am7(b5). I am also wondering how do you write Roman Numerals with the below progression. Would anybody please help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Taesoo

Gm7 Am7 BbMaj7 Gm7 Cm7 Cm7
Gm7 Gm7 Am7(b5) Ab7 Gm7 Bb7
Ebm7 Fm7 GbMaj7 Ebm7 Abm7 Abm7
Ebm7 Ebm7 BbMaj7 Bb7 Ebm7
Am7(b5) Ab7 Gm7

Key of G minor :
Gm7 Am7 BbMaj7 Gm7 Cm7 Cm7
Gm7 Gm7 Am7(b5) Ab7 Gm7 Bb7
Ebm7 Fm7

Key of Gb :
GbMaj7 Ebm7 Abm7 Abm7
Ebm7 Ebm7 BbMaj7 Bb7 Ebm7

Key of G mionr :
Am7(b5) Ab7 Gm7

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You've got a couple of tricky things going on.

First, minor keys have a LOT of latitude. In a major key, the ii is a minor (or m7), because the notes of the major scale are always the same. But in a minor key, there are LOTS of different scales we can use, and each scale will harmonize to create different chords. So when you look at Am7 (A-C-E-G), you're assuming it will be m7b5 to fit the Eb in the Gm scale.

Look at the G natural minor scale (G-A-Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G) and you're right... it should be Eb. But what if we used the G ascending melodic minor (G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F#-G), or the G Dorian (G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F-G)? We'd end up harmonizing the ii to be a m7 in both cases!

Scales can be freely mixed. In fact, that's what the G melodic minor does - it's one scale going up (G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F#-G) and a different one going down (G-F-Eb-D-C-Bb-A-G). So we can mix and match the chords to suit what the melody is doing at the moment.

The second tricky thing is a substitution. We expect a V-i cadence, which would be D7-Gm if you were doing something simple. The tension in D7 comes from the tritone between F# and C. Instead we see Ab7, which has a tritone between C and Gb... notice that Gb is enharmonic to F# - the Ab7 chord is actually a tritone substitution for a V7.

So how you apply Roman numerals will be tricky. Harmonically, that's a V7-i. If you're just trying to see the overall shape of the progression, that's how I'd label it. But if you're trying to see the actual chords used so you can use the same sequence someplace else, I'd label it bII7.

Does that help?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@taesoo)
Topic starter  

Oh! I just thought of natural minor scale only, not melodic or dorian scale etc. Now I fully understand with your very kind and professional explanation.

Regarding dominant 7th chord substitution, yes! D7 and Ab7 share the same b7th and 3rd tone. Now I remember this is "tritone substitution"!

Thank you so much, NoteBoat.

Taesoo

ReplyQuote