Clear all

Key Confusion

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was fooling around on the fretboard, as I often do, and hit a very pleasing (at least to my ear) chord progression Gm7 - Am7 - Dm7. All movable bar chords - just chugging up and down the fretboard. I recorded it and looped it to practice some soloing but as I was trying to determine what key this was in, with my limited knowledge of theory, I got stuck.

Am I correct that G-A-D could be the I-IV-V of G or the IV-V-I of D? Is this possible or does it always follow that the first chord in the progression is always the I chord?

Also, I was wondering what I could use for a turnaround and/or to create some tension.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Am I correct that G-A-D could be the I-IV-V of G

I - IV - V in the key of G are G - C - D
or the IV-V-I of D?

IV - V - I in the key of D are G - A - D. I thought you wanted minor chords, so both of the above are wrong.

It's iv - v - i in the key of Dm

D E F G A Bb C

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, it'd be i-iv-v. Tension is pretty easy:

In a major key, you get tension from a dominant chord, and the V chord is naturally dominant. In a natural minor key, the i-iv-v chords are all minor sevenths, which don't have as much tension. So you can do one of two things....

You can use the naturally dominant chord from the relative major (which would be C7) to add some tension, or you can use the harmonic minor scale in Dm to turn the Am7 into an A7 chord.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I think I've got it. Thanks.

One more question. For soloing, would some of the possible scale choices be D minor pentatonic, F major pentatonic and C major?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

C major might not work as well as F major. Your Gm7 chord has a Bb note in it.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Tom!

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

Yep, it'd be i-iv-v...

Gm - Am - Dm is i-iv-v? That's not correct, is it? If it is, please explain.

I'd say it's ii-iii-iv in the scale of F with a tonal center of D, although many would probably say it's iv-v-i in the scale of D minor, but I find that just a confusing way to look at things.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In F, it would be a ii-iii-vi. In D, it's the IV-V-I. I don't know why it should be confusing ("ii-iii-iv in the scale of F with a tonal center of D" is confusing) - the progression provides you with a clean resolution, through the V-I perfect cadence.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

I don't know why it should be confusing ("ii-iii-iv in the scale of F with a tonal center of D" is confusing) - the progression provides you with a clean resolution

It may be confusing to you, but it makes perfect sense to me :) That's why I said that most people would say it's iv-v-i in D minor, because I know that's the convention.

By the way, I'm not a huge fan of the v-i progression. It's weak and unsatisfying, like drinking stale, lukewarm beer. V-i (as Noteboat suggested, using the harmonic minor, in this case: A7-Dm) gives a much stronger sense of resolution.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

V-i (as Noteboat suggested, using the harmonic minor, in this case: A7-Dm) gives a much stronger sense of resolution.
Certainly agree with you, there.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, it'd be i-iv-v...

Gm - Am - Dm is i-iv-v? That's not correct, is it? If it is, please explain.

I'd say it's ii-iii-iv in the scale of F with a tonal center of D, although many would probably say it's iv-v-i in the scale of D minor, but I find that just a confusing way to look at things.

Yes, it is correct. If you take a D natural minor scale:

D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C-D

D is the first degree, so Dm is the i chord; G is the fourth degree, and Gm the iv chord, A is the fifth degree, and Am the v chord.

When you say 'tonal center of D', you're implying a key of 'D-something', as all scales are named from their keynote, or tonal center. Using the notes of the F major scale, you'd be talking about the key of D-Aeolian or D natural minor, and progressions are always named from the keynote... the I or i chord must have the keynote as a root.

There are solid reasons that's the convention in theory: first, because there are so many possible tonal centers for a key, and so many possible alterations of the scale. Using the keynote as I or i gives you information that's missing if any other note was the basis of the scale.

Your method is based on the key signature of one flat, which isn't exactly the same as the key. Since there's no keynote in a ii-iii-vi progression, you can't tell what the tonal center is - is it F (implied in the missing I/i), G, A, or D? You can't even say with certainty that it's in a minor key, because we don't know what the root chord is - F or Fm? (Plenty of tunes will go back and forth between parallel keys, so you'll find tunes in F minor that have A minor chords instead of Abm - the chord type of the root really isn't clear)

Compare that to i-iv-v in the key of D:

natural minor: i-iv-v
harmonic minor: i-iv-V
melodic minor: i-IV-V

No matter which scale is used, it's clear what the root is (D), and it's clear we're in a minor scale (i)

The second reason to call the progression i-iv-v is practical... if you're in a working situation, and the other band members are unfamiliar with the tune, saying "it's a i-iv-v in D minor" conveys the entire progression - there are only a couple common ways to work through those chords in that key, and they'll follow right along. If you say "it's a ii-iii-vi in F" that's not the case - the musicians who can read a progression into those numbers will be looking for a melodic line that actually moves around G rather than D, because they'll be looking for a fragment of the natural harmonic series iii-vi-ii-V-I, a common extended progression in many jazz tunes.

ReplyQuote