Clear all

Landslide modes

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@questionmark)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, it's been while since the last time I was here so i don't no if anyone's considered this:
In david hodges lesson Preparing to climb... he writes out that in the song Landslide Lindsey Buckingham uses a Eb Mixolydian Scale. The tones he writes out for that scale is:
Eb F G A Bb C D Eb

Now correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt this the Bb Major scale?

Because the Eb Mixolydian don't have an A in it, it's got a G# and since this tone was the entire reason for the changing the scale from Eb major to Eb Mixolydian I find it strange that the tone is not in the scale.

Otherwise thankyou to David Hodge, he's thaught me alot.

(the Eb Mixolydian scale is the tones of the G# scale in the 5th position or???)

peace in our time

huey
(@huey)

Eb mixo would be Eb F G Ab Bb C Db Eb

You're right about the Ab, but there is also a Db (minor seventh) and not a D (major eventh).

ReplyQuote
(@questionmark)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

shure, forgot that. But David wanted to get the A that is'nt in the Eb major scale and then he changed to Eb Mixolydian wich does'nt contain an A either. It confuses me a bit and I'm shure that David had a reason, I just can't figure it out.

peace in our time

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

My guess is it should read Bb Mixolydian which will flatten the A.

I'm no theory guru but if the key signature is assuming Eb with the A raised then maybe it should be E lydian.

All this theory, it gives me a headache :)

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

The scale you have posted is Eb Lydian, maybe its not meant to be Mixolydian?!?

ReplyQuote
(@questionmark)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Nope I'm pretty shure that's what he wrote here's the link from the lesson:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=435

so you can see if I've gone (more) nuts.

Hey, maybe someone can send this to David so that he can explain for himself...[/url]

peace in our time

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I just read through it, and I'm sure it's just momentary confusion (it happens to all of us at times).

The musical examples in the key of Eb have A natural - the raised fourth. So it's the mode of Eb Lydian, not mixolydian. Mixolydian would have A flat, and change the D to a Db - the scale notes from the key of Ab.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote