Clear all

Mixolydian Blues Lick

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Mixo Blues has b3 ,b5 and b7. Very common to play over 7th chords, as is done in the example. (Or so I understand. ;) )

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Mixolydian has a flat 7th.

Uhmm, yes, that's why I wrote b7.

And the Mixolydian Blues scale has a flat 3rd, flat 5th and flat 7th.

Sorry if my shorthand was confusing. :)

Anyway, you asked if it was common: yes, especially when the underlying chord is a 7th (dominant not major.)

The theorists here can add more info - I just try to use the chord tones as a base. In this case, the riff is over an A7 chord as per the PDF. Thus you get the flat 7th.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yup, it does indeed. It's fairly typical A pentatonic minor to start with (which includes an F, but not an F#), then the F (6th fret on the B string) is from A mixolydian, then it's back to using the minor with the F# again.

A minor:

A Mixolydian:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It's fairly typical A pentatonic minor to start with (which includes an F, but not an F#)

You mean A minor. A pentatonic minor don't have a F or a F#.There's neither to -quote- start with -unquote-. I find it easier to relate things to the pentatonics most of the time, I ain't that great a guitarist. :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The only mixolydian I know of is...

A B C# D E F# G

Is there another one?

LOL, I thought you were asking about the Mixolydian Blues scale, which is built from the major and minor blues scales.

So yes, there are other Mixos. :wink:

And "A Mixo Blues" would have both a b3 and a 3 - in this case, a C and C# ... And no G# ... so that all works in the riff.

(This is why I hate scales and modes ... chord tones are so much more intuitive!)

Which brings up your question about the C note over an A7 chord.

You're right, it seems odd to use it. But Amin - especially Amin pentatonic - over A7 seems common enough. Why? I don't know. Again, we need Noteboat or Kingpatzer or some other theory guru to respond. The way I would think about it is the flat 3 (C) adds tension over the 3 (C#) in the A7 chord, increasing the bluesy nature of the piece. (Similarly, and perhaps more obviously, adding a C# to the Amin pentatonic riff would definitely change things up a bit.)

Relating it to chord tones, I'd view the C as a passing tone leading to the C#, but that doesn't seem to be how it's being used in the riff.

Hopefully that makes sense, though we don't yet have an answer. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@niliov)
Trusted Member

I think it is important to understand that the 7th chords on I and IV in a blues do not function as traditional dominants (thus resolving to a tonic) but are static chords which do not need resolution. A common extension on static dominant chords is #9 (the C on A7). Notice that that is not the same as b10! Although they both calculate to be a C, b10 implies the dominant function (with some other 9 possible, flat or natural) and #9 implies a static 7th chord (which excludes all other 9's when #9 is used). Of course the #9 comes from the Blues Scale (A C D D# E G) which also adds a #11 to the chord although it is commonly used as a passing note from D to E or from E to D or it is skipped which leaves you with the A minor pentatonic scale. I think switching between the Blues Scale/ pentatonic scale and mixolydian is very common among blues gitarists (BB King anyone?)

ReplyQuote