Skip to content
Modal Question (lik...

Notifications
Clear all

Modal Question (like you haven't heard enough)

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dm7b5)
Topic starter  

Hi,
Sorry if you've heard this question a million times before but i've been given mixed answers on it and could do with some clarity.

If i'm playing a song for example in the key of G major and wanted to solo over it using the modes.
Say i wanted a sad sound and decided on the Aeolian mode. To stay in key, would i use E Aeolian being the mode of G major or would i use G Aeolian as i'm in the key of G?

Thanks for any help

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I know there are some real experts that will probably be giving an answer to this very soon. But I do know a little, so I'll throw my 2 pesos in the ring.

If you're playing a G major progression, then a minor mode really wont do the trick. You could do the rock n roll thing and play a G minor pentatonic under it (why not, everyone else does). If you want a sadder sounding melody, then use a minor mode, but get a progression that works with it.

Ok, now this is where everyone comes in and tells me what I said wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

E-Aeolian would work as it is the natural E minor scale and E minor has the same key signature as G Major. So long as you watch the notes tou emphasise it will sound fine.

G-Aeolian is the Aeolian mode in the key of Bb.

Let us know if this isn't clear.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

*hopes this doesnt sound confusing*

if your in G major, (melody would be in G Ionian) and you change the mode, then you wont be still in the same Mode, if you used a sad mode, that leaves us with Dorian, Phrygian or Aeolian. Starting on A, B or E.

If you want it to have any effect you would need to get rid of the G major underneath to make the modal sound more dominant. If you were in E Aeolian, in the melody throw an E under the G major chord and make it a Em7 chord.

ReplyQuote
(@dm7b5)
Topic starter  

But I'm still in the key of G?

If so, i understand it all. Cheers

If not :cry:

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

E Aeolian is the sixth mode of G major. But you've altered your tonal center therefore altering your feel. If you played it as though it were G major instead of E minor, then you haven't really changed anything. Go with the above suggestions (especially throwing a low E on top of the G chord as Alex said). And think of it as E minor (or aeolian), not as G major.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@dm7b5)
Topic starter  

Yeah, that's okay, i understand about the chords to use and everything, just making sure i was "technically" still in the same key and wasn't using the wrong scale for what i was wanting.
Cheers

ReplyQuote