modal vamps

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello.

I started reading Goodrick's "Advancing Guitarist: Applying Guitar Concepts and Techniques".

It's way too difficult for me but since the concept is mentioned in the first few pages I guess it's also fundamental.

I understand the concept of "mode" to more or less derive from that of "scale". And a vamp is probably an indication to let yourself experiment.

What do the two words together mean? Is it just to dwindle in a mode and then another?

If you need me to be more specific, I'll check the book when I get home

Thanks

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I believe a vamp is sort of like a chord motif: so playing a D major chord followed by an A major chord for two bars, repeated, would be a chord vamp, if i'm correct about that (and i could very well be wrong), a chord vamp is generally used for improv. So my guess would be that a modal vamp would be a set of chords used for modal soloing, but i'm no expert and can't tell you for sure. I'm thinking that it could also be a set of chords that are harmonized from a given mode.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Stev-O.

I don't have the book here, but I guess he's talking about soloing without harmonising.
Or maybe you're right. I'll have to give you more context.
I'll have another go tonite.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

'Vamp' is an old jazz piano term for a repeated bass line. In terms of modes, a vamp is a progression of 2-4 chords that repeats over and over... since harmonized modes don't have a V7-I resolution, it's difficult to create 'progressions' in the sense of movement/tension/resolution that you have in major or minor keys.

For instance, if you're playing in E Phrygian, your vamp might go Em-Am.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Noteboat.

Your answer is definitely helpful, but I need to check the book to clarify this.

Thanks a lot

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Frank Gambale does a decent job of playing them in his 'Modes, no more mystery' dvd. He plays the IV & V chords from the major scale progression and adds the tonal-center root note (from the mode) on the low string. For instance, playing D Dorian, he'll play a vamp with the IV & V from C (F & G) and put a D note on top. Then he'll blow through them in D Dorian.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

So a vamp is just a sort of Ostinato?

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I'm most likely wrong, but I always thought a vamp was a loop. Like you made a vamp out of a couple of chords, looped it, and worked a melody (or whatever) over it,.

Vai made that comment in a magazine interview, so I figured thats what it meant.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi!

I'm almost there. I'll post some conclusion (if I can soon).

In the meanwhile... check this link

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/145/145,6181,PRIVATELESSONS-1.asp

Understanding Modes By Adam Levy

It has an example.

Thanks to all of you

ReplyQuote