Skip to content
Modes again.(questi...

Notifications
Clear all

Modes again.(question from David's Scales within Scales)

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I know that this subject is a never ending one..but I am interest by the following sentence, taken from David's article: Scales Within Scales:

'Most people learn various modal scales in order to develop different style for leads and solos. Me, I prefer to use them in order to spice up my songwriting. Bass players can utilize them to create astonishingly beautiful bass lines. Anyway you look at it your knowledge of minor and modal will augment your abilities. '

Can anyone develop a bit how modes are useful in songwriting or in bass playing?
Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Roberto

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Can anyone develop a bit how modes are useful in songwriting or in bass playing?
Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Roberto

They can be used in songwriting, to provide the chords as an alternative to the more predictable major or minor 'modes'.

The end section of the Beatles' song Hey Jude, is an example of an extended modal harmonic progression. In the key of C major, the verses etc, use all the expected chords, but the end 'na na na' sequence is in C mixolydian using the chords C - Bb - F - C. (I - bVII - IV - I) These chords are taken from the C mixolydian mode C D E F G A Bb C
There is no V chord present in that sequence (a hallmark of major/ minor songs). Chord bVII does a similar job but with a distinctly modal flavour.

The Stones' 'Sympathy for the Devil' (verses - not chorus) and the Who's My Generation are other examples of songs constructed from modes other than the usual major (ionian) or minor (aeolian) modes.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Thanks for that post Fretsource (and Roberto for asking the question), it looked like I wasn't going to learn any interersting theory today, but I guess I was just a bit too hasty :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

An actual example:

C major: C D E F G A B
D dorian: D E F G A B C
D minor: D E F G A Bb C

As you can see D dorian is very much like D minor but with one difference: the B is used instead of Bb. This has an impact on the chords that go with the scales:

D dorian: Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bm5b, C
D minor: Dm Em5b, F, Gm, Am, Bb, C

So this tiny difference means three chords have changed: Em, G and Bm5b vs Em5b, Gm and Bb. The obvious difference between a song in D-major or in D-dorian is that the dorian mode is a 'minor' mode, because it has a F instead of a F#. In that sense dorian is an alternative to natural, harmonic en melodic minor.

What is the practical effect? I just recorded some guitar in the Phrygian mode, but without the flattened 3rd: C Db E F G Ab B. Basically a simple C-major scale but with the 2nd and 6th flat. As you can hear this gives the entire thing a distinct arabesque vibe: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=4855710

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I just recorded some guitar in the Phrygian mode, but without the flattened 3rd: C Db E F G Ab B. Basically a simple C-major scale but with the 2nd and 6th flat. As you can hear this gives the entire thing a distinct arabesque vibe: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=4855710

That's a nice scale SB, in fact, one of my favourites, but it's not the phrygian mode as it differs, not only in the raised 3rd but also the raised 7th. This is the Byzantine scale. It also forms the Indian Bhairav raga as well as some Arabian maqam sequences.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys for giving us these nice tips!!

Hey Noteboat,when you have a spare time from your lessons could you give your two cents in the subject?

ReplyQuote