Clear all

Music and the mind...

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

sleep to beethoven.
I can't sleep to classical music. I'll listen to it and stay up for hours, because there's just too much going on. Primus is my sleeping music. The same song may affect me in different ways at different times. I'd never liten to some songs on my own, but love it when I'm at a concert or driving around with friends. I find that some music enhances my community experience, but other songs really appeal to me when I'm alone. Coheed and Cambria crosses that line, though.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

And oh yeah, music has been shown to actually work as a pain-killer. Believe it or not, in my younger days I was quite a skateboarder and surfer as well. I know exactly what you are talking about.

On this note, is it possible that music could play a role in recovering from an illness or something? Like...I have a cold now...and I'm listening to heavy metal...would this have any effect on my cold?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A lot of studies have shown that music contributes to health. I don't know o any that used metal, though - usually folk songs or classical music.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

In a "scientific" study of several dozen bean sprouts (in my 10th grade biology class, but hey, it was interesting!)

Those exposed to no music had approximately standard growth +/- 5%

Those exposed to classical music averaged about 8-10% more growth than those without music.

Those exposed to rock music averaged between 15-20% more growth than those without music.

The experiments were by no means perfectly controlled, but they were reasonably well done. Convinced me that music can do something positive for life, even life that can't hear!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When I was in college, most musicians ate a lot of bean sprouts... think there's a connection, or was it just the nearby health food restauant?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

Not too long ago I saw an episode of a cable show called Myth Busters. I can't remember what channel it was on, maybe the Discovery Channel.

On this show they conducted an experiment with plants and different types of music. They set up separate green houses and exposed each to a different kind of music. They also set up a control greenhouse. If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was plants exposed to metal that had the most growth.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Music is definitly mood altering. That is it's whole purpose. It seems to me that in modern society not enough people actively participate in making music. I think it's good for you to express your emotions with music. It's thereputic.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2