Clear all

Need A Quote

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

For my music investigation of two pieces, i need a backup quote from a piece of writing / book that a composer has written..

outlining that a chord can work with a root and third, but not a root and fifth, and basically explain it.. if anyone has one.. can they tell me what piece of writing / book it is from, and where i can get an exact quote.

Thanx!

(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Im assuming this is dealing with major/minor tonality necessity over dominant requirements.

Miles Davis must have something, I would research it from one of the big international quote sites. Its likely they will site an article text its derived from.

Try http://www.quoteworld.com

Im sitting at work right now and Ive got a bunch of litterature here, if you havent already found something, Ill drop a couple citations if I find anything.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Im assuming this is dealing with major/minor tonality necessity over dominant requirements.

Its more to do with the classical era.. its about 'Mars' by holst, all the pounding chords are open 5th's.. and i need a quote by someone pre-Holst, explaining how its a powerful but.. blank interval. Or about the ambiguity of it.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

tell 'em Nik said so 8)

...and if they argue, make them watch all five episodes of "salad fingers". They wont have the willpower to move or speak, they will be too permanently disturbed...

and if they still argue, dont worry, the penguins will soon own their souls, so it doesn't matter, anyways.

That idea could also be applied to identical motion, and i dont remember well enough to give a quote... but i remember someone talking of piston... and saying how boring that particulr motion could become after time.

Although, if applied correctly, root-5 chords can be really cool.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

but i remember someone talking of piston... and saying how boring that particulr motion could become after time.

You mean like reciprocating endlessly in a motor's cylinder? 8) 8) 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote