Notifications
Clear all

Need Help finding key/scale

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blindhand)
Topic starter  

I am writing a song and the chords it uses for the main progression are E D and C with a open G drone note. I want to create a solo/lead for this song but I don't know how to tell which one to use. I would greatly welcome any advice. Thanks:)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you're playing full chords they won't all fit into one key - because an E chord has G#, and a C chord has G.

Since you're using a G drone under all of them, there will be quite a clash with an E major chord. So I'm guessing you're using either Em or E5 (an E power chord). If that's the case, they all fit nicely into the key of G, and you could use any G major type scale, like G pentatonic major (same notes as E pentatonic minor)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@blindhand)
Topic starter  

Thank you very much:) Yes I am using the power chords in this progression. I was leaning toward the G scales so it's nice to have that affirmed though it was mostly a guess. I ended up useing the G Major scale for the lead and it came out nice. I have been playing for several years but I never took lessons so as i go deeper into this songwriting thing I am realizing the gaps in what I learned. I want to have a better understanding of why one scale works while another doesn't, once i figure that out it will be all good. For now though I thank you for your time and getting me out of a pinch. Have a good day:)

ReplyQuote
(@rollcat)

soloing over with em pentatonic may sound better than G since your chordal riff has an em in it while their is no G chord in it. Em has the same notes as G so it doesn't really matter too much.

ReplyQuote