Notifications
Clear all

Need some help analyzing a song

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@deanlolmberg)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I'm new here but I already know just from the first few threads I've looked at that this is the site I have been yearning for. I have this chord progression I like to mess around with and would love someone to take a quick look at the chords and just tell me what they are in all their music theory glory. I have a piss poor knowledge of it and so it gets me into jams(difficulties) here and there when a band mate wants to know 'what was that key change right there?'

Alright here are the chords

---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
10-----6-----9----6/7---------------------------------------------------|
9------6-----9----6------------------------------------------------------|
9------6-----9----6------------------------------------------------------|
9------7-----7----4------------------------------------------------------|
7------9------------------------------------------------------------------|

Nothing crazy, I know, but I'd like to satiate my curiosity on this one once and for all. Thanks in advance, I look forward to getting involved with this board.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ok, your notes are:

7-9-9-9-10-x = B-F#-B-E-A = B7sus
9-7-6-6-6-x = B-E-G#-C#-F = this one is trickier; the F natural can be seen as E#, giving you a C# major on strings 2-4. If C# is the root, you have C#-E-G#-B-F, which is C#m7b9
x-7-9-9-9-x = E-B-B-G# = E major
x-4-6-6-6-x = C#-G#-C#-F = C# major (C#-E#-G# - the E# is enharmonic to F)
x-4-6-6-7-x = C#-G#-C#-F# = C#sus

You've only got one note that's outside the key (E#/Fnatural), and it's immediately resolved both times to one in the key (E the first time, F# the second). So I'd say the whole thing is in E major.

That means one of two things is happening: 1. you're borrowing a parallel chord - substituting C# for C#m, or (probably more likely) 2. the F is what's called a non-harmonic tone - a melody note, which isn't actually part of the harmony. Chord names describe harmony, not fingerings - so if a note isn't part of the harmony, it shouldn't be part of the chord name, even if you're playing it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@deanlolmberg)
Topic starter  

Wow, this was wonderfully more than I was expecting, thank you very much. And actually, now that you've got me thinking about it, whats really going on with the last set of chords in that progression is a variation (differs basically every time i run through it) of one before the other. Sometimes I'll include the F# first and the next time I'll use the F first, but I always have to hit the F# once and end it on the F. I don't know if this matters but it feels actually unresolved to my ear until i hit the F for the last chord.

If it helps any, the chorus progression for the chorus is A, G#, C#, C, A, G#, F#, Em, F#, G#, Em. Thanks for your help man, you gave me several things to go read about now.

ReplyQuote