new user needs help!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone!
I'm very glad to have found this website, and I'm excited to be part of this community!
First a quick introduction:
I've played guitar for about 10 years now, but I really haven't grown as a guitar player since about 2 years after I started. I grew bored with my limited ability and I put down the guitar. I picked it back up about two years ago when I discovered bossa nova, but I had to stop since I didn't have any help or lessons to learn from.
Ive become interested in guitar again by listening to Jazz-Rock stuff like Frank Zappa and Jam Bands like Phish.
Can someone give me some direction? I think I need to learn scales and theory. Probably some daily excercises would be great. Can you give me some advice on how I could learn but at the same time some tips on actually applying some of the stuff I learn so it won't simply be a mental excercise?
Thanks!

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

what i think is a good start, is getting the music you like, and learning about it... its not a total move on from what you have been doing but it will seem to open up a new world to it.. like when you play or listen to music.. like you might play something and be like

"play these notes its a good song"

..but you might now see it as... in this key, using these chords, then you can understand why to get a certain sound (assuming the band has musical talent, no dig at you but a lot of people just strum around and dont really know, so that doesnt apply to what im saying) ..

Then you can use these things you learn about the characteristics of the music you like to listen to, and can apply it in your OWN music..

i'd start off looking into scales and keys, working out what keys some pieces you like are in, and look for modulations and things, get your head around that and your well on your way.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse.

Try Theory without tears, Scales within Scales and Scaling the Heights as places to get started.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote