Clear all

NoteBoats book

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jocko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

As I was leaving for work today NoteBoats book was delivered. I only has time to unpack it and give it a cursory glance. Cannot wait to get home this evening and make a start to it proper. I am desperate to improve my musical knowledge after years of struggling along with very little theory. I'll keep you informed of how I progress.

45 years playing and still rubbish.

(@corbind)
Noble Member

Can you let us know yet?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@jocko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Book is ideal as a starter for Music Theory. It also goes what for me was quite deep. I found it interesting. The only problem I found is the using of the information. Years ago I was training as a marine radio officer and for the first year studied electrostatics, magnetism, AC theory etc, but it was not until year two that I began to appreciate why I was having to learn all this stuff. Its a bit like that with music theory. You know you will need it all but don't, at the beginning, know why. Now I have the book it will be a handy reference for the future.

45 years playing and still rubbish.

ReplyQuote
(@mbroughton)
Eminent Member

I have also received Noteboat's theory book, and a couple of days later got the PlaneTalk book by Kirk Lorange ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/review.php?id=321 ).

I have to say that the combination of both books have really helped me understand the basics of music theory. I read through Noteboat's theory book first, and found it quite easy to follow and a genuinely interesting read, then when I received the PlaneTalk instructional material (which is more hand's on) I found I instantly understood what he was trying to teach because of the knowledge I had already gained from reading Noteboat's guide.

If you then combine these books with the various resources on this wonderful website then I really feel you have a powerful guitar/theory learning resource triumvarite!

ReplyQuote