Clear all

Oddball G chord ?

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, I have just come across the guitarnoise website, and this forum ...looks good, and I hope to have some fun here.
I have been playing for over 40 years, but who's to say I haven't had just 1 years' experience repeated OVER and OVER, for four decades. :wink:
My "name", OdNt43, satnds for Old dog, New tricks, and I was born in '43.

No, not 1843.... :roll:

Anyway, I've been using a chord in certain flatpicked bluegrass G pieces for some 30 years now, but no-one ever asked me to "write" it out until recently.
It's played on the top 4 strings, open fourth, open third, 3rd fret second string, 3rd fret first string : x x 0 0 3 3.....so should I call it a G5/D ?
(Based on the fact that it's a two-note "non-chord 5", but the lowest note played in it is the D.)
Thanks in advance;
Dog

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You could call it that...

One other choice: D4. Since it's just an interval, with D on the bottom, that would avoid the slash.

Without a chord diagram, though, there's no way to indicate what strings (or how many strings) should be played - so I'd either do it in tab or include a fingering diagram.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

i thought '6' was first inversion?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, '6' is used to indicate first inversion in figured bass notation - but this doesn't have a third.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

so the 4 relates to the fourth diatonic note up from D?

so if it was D and C# it would be D7, or does it only work with fifths? or normal triadic notes?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It works with any two notes - all I'm doing is inverting the interval.

'5' chords (or 'power' chords) aren't really chords at all - they're just perfect fifth intervals. In this case, the notes of the perfect fifth are G and D.

The voicing in question is D-G-D-G... so instead of identifying it as a perfect fifth with a D root - which places the perfect fifth in the middle of the voicing, inverting the interval to a perfect fourth makes the voicing R-4-R-4, or two stacked 'fourth power chords'

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Trouble is, BP, G/D is a "second inversion"slash chord : 5-1-3, or D,G,B.
if I wrote it that way, it would be confusing, 'cause there ain't no B...and if someone put a B in it, the sound would change, and they wouldn't be able to play the notes in the fifth and sixth fret that I do when "rooted" in the third fret on the G & D notes. ( A & A# on 1st string, D#,E & F on 2nd. string)

With all due respect, I don't really want to call it a D4 either, because of its' "G function" in the song...the bass player's low note is the G....only the drummer plays D... :wink:
Guess I'll stay with G5/D and just type in the xx0033 explanation at the bottom of the page. 8)
thanks guys;
Mike

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Could you go with Gadd5 ?
Would it hurt if someone playing the piece picked up the bass notes even though the bass player is already doing that?

ReplyQuote
(@newlyded1)

I don't know anything about theory, but I thought I'd add that in Guitar Pro, there's a section for various chord voiceings. This one, you have to put in manually. I was kind of curious anyway, since I use this particular chord to start out "Lyin' Eyes". Anyhoo, GP calls it either a "G (no3)" or "Dsus4 (no5)", if that helps any.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again folks, BUT...

newlyded1:
"G (no3)" is the same as G5, and would indicate the G string as the lowest note, GP is not accurate with this one.
Dsus4(no 5) is a really l-o-n-g way to say "D4" as earlier suggested by Noteboat.

Missleman:
No can do on the "Gadd5"....add5 is a theoretical impossibility...you have a basic chord format of 1-3-5, or 1-3-5-7....you can "add9"(2), "add11"(4) or "add13"(6), but you cannot "add" anything else.

Thanks again for the input...think we've run this one out of alternatives... :wink:

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Make it real simple and call it 'Bob'. Then pull Bob out anytime it works!

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Missleman:
No can do on the "Gadd5"....add5 is a theoretical impossibility...you have a basic chord format of 1-3-5, or 1-3-5-7....you can "add9"(2), "add11"(4) or "add13"(6), but you cannot "add" anything else.
I understand the theory behind add5 is not valid but have seen it used numerous times in sheet music and books as a short hand method I suppose of telling you to play G as 320033 vs the standard 320003 voicing.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've seen all kinds of nutty things on the internet, and some have spread to other media. It's the result of folks not realizing that the purpose of chord names is to classify a harmony, not dictate a fingering - an extension of the rampant slash chord phenomenon.

What's the point of adding 5? A major chord already has a 5, and doubling a voicing won't change the chord name. And if 'add5' is to specify 320033, shouldn't it be GaddRadd5addR? I mean, I could finger 'Gadd5' xx0787 or x-x-9-7-8-10 and get a doubled fifth. Of course, then we'd need to make it 'GaddRadd5addR(open) to rule out 15-14-12-12-15-15 fingering.

Chord names aren't meant to dictate fingerings, or even register. Standard notation dictates register, but not fingering (xxx010 and xx555x are the same C triad). Tab dictates fingering, but ignores other possible identical voicings - I've seen plenty of cases where a tab has you leaping all over the neck when there's a very simple change that yields the same notes.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Good point.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'd call it G5/D myself, but then I'm addicted to playing low and heavy inverted power chords with lots of distortion - and that's how I've always seen them notated in any tab I've read. At the end of the day, if it accurately describes the notes you're using - it's good :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote