Passing tones.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys and Girls,

its been along time since i posted...well. i was wondering if any of you guys could tell me whats a passing tone? that would be great!

austa

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It's a non-chord tone situated between (and forming a melodic progression with) two chord tones. The chord tones may or may not belong to the same chord.

For example, in a three note ascending melodic phrase over the chord of C major, such as C D E, the notes C and E are chord tones - D is a passing tone, (like a musical stepping stone.)

In a three note melodic phrase over, for example, C major to D minor, such as C, C# D, The notes C and D are chord tones of their respective chords (C & Dm) and the note C# is a passing tone. In this case it's called a chromatic passing tone.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The definition I have is that a passing tone is a tone between two notes a third apart.

These's no black art to them, we all use them all the time

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote