24 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok....i see the relation of 1 2 d3 5 6 to dorian...we're good there

i don't see what the major pentatonic has to do with it

1, 2 and 5 are are major and minor. 6 is minor by nature. what's left? 3 and that's flat.

will someone back me up on this or show me where i'm wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

"A major Dorian" is just plain silly.

Who said that? Not me. Yours is the first reference to "major Dorian" in the thread.

That was my understanding from improvgtrplyr's post - that the C was natural for Dorian, so to make it major it would be C#. I interpreted C# as making it A major dorian (I've read the post twice more, and I still think that's what's implied)

I think taking any pentatonic pattern and naming it after a diatonic scale just introduces confusion. What makes A-B-C-E-F# a major pentatonic Dorian? Why wouldn't it be a major pentatonic melodic minor? That's the identical step selection from a different scale, with an identical result.

By referencing a diatonic scale, you indicate it's a subset - when really I think it's just a coincidence, because five notes can be a subset of many different scales.

A better way to name artificial scales is by reference to an basic scale with an alteration. Say "Dorian #4" or "Mixolydian b2" and everyone will know what tones you're talking about... so I'd call this a minor pentatonic #6, rather than reaching for a name that implies some other scale relationship.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A better way to name artificial scales is by reference to an basic scale with an alteration. Say "Dorian #4" or "Mixolydian b2" and everyone will know what tones you're talking about... so I'd call this a minor pentatonic #6, rather than reaching for a name that implies some other scale relationship.

Fair enough! Thanks for adding that. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i have some idea how theory works but it's been a while since i've had any working knowlege of it. so i need this explained in a simple way. i feel i should be paying you guys for this :)

the reason i'm trying to understand is because i can pharse my music better playing 2 note per string runs. but the good old pentatonics are getting old.

i know there's something to this....i've played minor pentratonic to chords i didn't know and it sounded like something spainish.

where do you get the formula to call it a minor pentatonic #6. is it from the major scale like chords?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes. Altered scale tones are always in comparison to the major scale of the same root - that keeps things from getting confused. If you say #6, and you're in C, that's always A#. Otherwise you run into problems with key - what if you were in natural minor? Then the 6th would be Ab, and #6 would be A.. but changing to melodic minor would make that same note A#. By using the major scale, there's never a question what tone we're talking about.

I'd actually made a typo - it should be "major pentatonic #6"... sorry if anyone got confused.

That would mean taking the major pentatonic scale (1-2-3-5-6) and rasing the sixth tone. Since the 6th of the major pentatonic in A would be F, you'd use F# instead.

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That would mean taking the major pentatonic scale (1-2-3-5-6) and rasing the sixth tone. Since the 6th of the major pentatonic in A would be F, you'd use F# instead.

the 6 in A major pentatonic is F#. infact F# is the relative minor. you must be wrong.

...and the 3rd? if we're relating to the A major scale the third (C) is sharp too.

A major scale: A B C# D E F# Ab

A pentatonic : A B C# E F#

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello? noteboat?....i see you're posting in other threads...you've must have seen my comment. what's going on here?

i asked you before if your fomula was from the the major scale because i could see that the notes were wrong.

i don't know much about theory but i do know the major scale in all the keys. that's just good musicianship. as someone who writes a book on music theory should you not be an expert on the subject? there's no excuse to make a mistake on something as basic as the major scale.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sorry for the confusion, and I wasn't ignoring you - Saturday's a big teaching day and I don't read all the posts at once!

Yep, I totally blew it.

Chords and scales are always expressed in numbers against the major scale of the same root, so A Dorian would be written as 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7.

The subset A-B-C-E-F# would be 1-2-b3-4-6.

But our major pentatonic is 1-2-3-5-6 - so the first place I screwed up was in making the 'correction' to major pentatonic - it's a minor pentatonic.

The second error is calling it "#6" - I should have said "raised 6th". In Am, the sixth is F, and it's raised to F# (which is the natural 6th in the key of A)

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the confusion, and I wasn't ignoring you - Saturday's a big teaching day and I don't read all the posts at once!

yeah....i thought you were ingnoring me. and sorry if i came off as a critic but you had me questioning things i've known for years. i read your post like 10 times. thought i was going crazy :roll:

anyways you gave me good advice before. if i were you i'd check the answers carefully. it's your reputation on the line.

thanks for clearing things up

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2