Clear all

Question about harmonic the scale by the chord

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nader)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As I know when harmonic a part of scale I'll harmonic by chord that notes belong to the part
I mean if the notes are G E .. the chord would be a C chord my questiones are :

- When I must to harmonic by augmented and dominat 7 or 9 or add..Etc
- If the note that I start to harmonic at it is G, could I harmonic by another chord instead of G chord?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

That's pretty tough to read.

I think you mean "harmonize", yes?

If so...

1. You use an augmented, dominant 7th, 9th or any other chord when you want to have the sound that chord produces.

Start by making groups of chords in your mind. Major chords sound different than minor chords, dominant chords sound different than major or minor, etc. So when you want to harmonize a note, ask yourself questions: should this sound sad or happy? Should it be tense or peaceful? Then go to the groups you've made, and you'll know which groups will be close. Start adding or changing notes to refine the sound. After a while, you'll get better at it.

2. Your melody note doesn't need to be the root of a chord. If you want to harmonize a G note, you might use G, Eb, C, Em, A7, Bb6, F9... the possibilities are practically endless. The better you are at spelling chords, the more chords you'll be able to use.

When you harmonize a song, you have to remember you're working in two directions in the music: you're building 'up' to make a chord from a melody, and those chords move 'across' the music to make progressions. So if you use F9 to harmonize your G chord, you've now got a chord with tension that wants to resolve... F9 sounds like it's going to Bb or Bbm. So if the melody is G-A, using F9 and A major isn't going to sound as good as using F9 and Bbmaj7.

But you don't have to resolve tension right away. So you could use F9, then F+, and then resolve the tension with the next chord (or the next, or the next)

Does that help?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nader)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Your explanation is wonderful but I ahve some questiones
you said

1. You use an augmented, dominant 7th, 9th or any other chord when you want to have the sound that chord produces.
I can't understand this

----------------------------------------
2. Your melody note doesn't need to be the root of a chord. If you want to harmonize a G note, you might use G, Eb, C, Em, A7, Bb6, F9... the possibilities are practically endless. The better you are at spelling chords, the more chords you'll be able to use.

you mean the note must belongs to the part of the chord.
----------------------------------------
When you harmonize a song, you have to remember you're working in two directions in the music: you're building 'up' to make a chord from a melody, and those chords move 'across' the music to make progressions. So if you use F9 to harmonize your G chord, you've now got a chord with tension that wants to resolve... F9 sounds like it's going to Bb or Bbm. So if the melody is G-A, using F9 and A major isn't going to sound as good as using F9 and Bbmaj7.

is there a basic rule to the tension chords, I mean the F9 only tension to the Bbmaj7.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

1. Each chord has a different sound. If you want the sad sound or a happy sound or an edgy sound or a peaceful one, you need to know what chords sound like that. Start listening closely to chords, and you'll find that Am7 and Em7 have the same basic sound, D7b9 and Gb7b9 have the same basic sound, etc. Learn what chords sound like, and then use those chord types when you want them.

Let's say your note is D, and you want the sound of a 7th chord in that spot. Four seventh chords have a D in them: D7, Bb7, G7, and E7. If you know what sound you want, you only consider a few chords; if you don't know what you want, it takes a LOT longer.

2. Yes. That's what harmonizing is all about - putting your melody in harmony with other notes.

Every note doesn't have to be part of a chord, especially short notes. If you have a quick C-D-E series, you can use a C chord over all three. The D would be considered a "non-harmonic tone".

3. There are basic rules, and there are not-so-basic rules. I wrote a lesson on some of the basic ones in Untangling Chord Progressions. But that's a huge topic - there are 1000 page books and full year college courses that cover the subject. So start with easy movements and work your way up.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nader)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As I know the major is happy sound and the minor is sad sound dominat is blue sound, so waht is the another sounds sign?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Play them and listen. You can't learn this by reading stuff, you need to get a feel for it.

ReplyQuote
(@nader)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very mush for all of this information. Really, it was very useful for me.

ReplyQuote