question on major 3rds and the book that i'm using

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i'm reading "theory for the contemporary guitarist" by guy capuzzo and have a question. it indicates, in one of its examples, that the major triad formed from a root of E flat would include E Flat, G, and B flat. My question is - why is G included and not G flat?

Either this is a mistake, or I can only assume that this has something to do with the number of semitones from E Flat to G. However, my book does not explain this (or at least not well). In all of its examples up to this point to help with the quality of the interval, it only provides from C (for example, a major 3rd from C is E, a minor 3rd from C is E flat). Then i come along this part and am left wondering how is the quality of intervals is really calculated. In looking back, the only area that mentions semitones with quality of intervals is this "all intervals are measured in 1/2 steps, and each has its own name (or names as the case may be). for instance, a whole step can also be called a major second, and a 1/2 step can also be called a minor 2nd)". then again it give examples using C. no other explanation is provided.

So, is my book incorrect or just really poor at explaining it (at least so i cannot understand it)? thanks.

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It's not a mistake. All major chords are constructed according to that formula - major third plus minor third. A major third from Eb is G (4 semitones) and a minor third above that is Bb (3 semitones).

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks fretsource. now, if only the author had written what you wrote about the 4 semitones, i would have understood it.

I guess I need a different book. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Let's compare the keys of E and Eb:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E F# G# A B C# D#
Eb F G Ab Bb C D

A major triad is built from the 1, 3 and 5. An E major chord therefore contains the notes E, G# and B. An Eb major chord contains Eb, G and Bb.

The notes of all keys can be seen here:

Major Relative Key I ii iii IV V vi vii°
Key Minor Signature 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
----------------------------------------------------------------
C major A minor C D E F G A B
G major E minor # G A B C D E F#
D major B minor ## D E F# G A B C#
A major F# minor ### A B C# D E F# G#
E major C# minor #### E F# G# A B C# D#
B major G# minor ##### B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major D# minor ###### F# G# A# B C# D# E#
F major D minor b F G A Bb C D E
Bb major G minor bb Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major C minor bbb Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab major F minor bbbb Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db major Bb minor bbbbb Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
Gb major Eb minor bbbbbb Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F
----------------------------------------------------------------

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Helgi - thanks a bunch for your reply. very helpful.

ReplyQuote