Clear all

Recommended books

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lamborman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am looking for books on music theory and in particular guitar, and even more particular Metal. I am not looking for a book that will explain the basics of Music theory. I am looking for a book written by a genius music teacher, which explains all the small and intricate things about Music and in particular guitar playing. Basically explains all the things you need to be very good at if you want to be a TOP level musician. I know there are books like this on acting theory for example.

I am primarily looking for a book on Music theory in general, so if there aren't any books that meet my criteria for the guitar, I don't care.

Basically BEST Music theory books, written by genius music teachers, who knew how to turn beginners into pros.

PS. also interested in books by composers about what it takes to write music.

(@neztok)
Estimable Member

I don't know of any single book that can transform you from beginner to pro. I've been recommending these lately:

Dansm's website, Planetalk, Rosetta Stone Of Guitar, Guitar Grid, The Guitar Grimoire, The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising, The Advancing Guitarist, Chord Chemistry

The later books listed are harder to understand, but eventually you'll find them useful.

and not a single one of them will teach you to write a song. Learning chord progressions would be a good start. Maybe learn a few and ask people why they work?

ReplyQuote
(@lamborman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't know of any single book that can transform you from beginner to pro. I've been recommending these lately:

Dansm's website, Planetalk, Rosetta Stone Of Guitar, Guitar Grid, The Guitar Grimoire, The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising, The Advancing Guitarist, Chord Chemistry

The later books listed are harder to understand, but eventually you'll find them useful.

and not a single one of them will teach you to write a song. Learning chord progressions would be a good start. Maybe learn a few and ask people why they work?

I didn't mean a book that can transform you from a beginner to a pro. I meant a book that describes such fine intricacies of guitar playing that a beginner misses them altogether, and generalises guitar playing, in a way, as to describe what guitar playing means to a master guitar player. Sort of a philosophical description of the guitar.

But I'll check out the books you recommended. :)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I didn't mean a book that can transform you from a beginner to a pro. I meant a book that describes such fine intricacies of guitar playing that a beginner misses them altogether, and generalises guitar playing, in a way, as to describe what guitar playing means to a master guitar player. Sort of a philosophical description of the guitar.

But I'll check out the books you recommended. :)

What it means to be a "master guitar player" is precisely to be a master musician. Music is a deep and endless subject. There have been thousands of books written on various aspects of music for a reason. On my book shelf I have, by rough calculation, around 30,000 pages of books dedicated to harmony alone. And every word in everyone of those books is applicable to the fine intracacies of guitar playing, and most of them are things a beginner misses altogether.

There are no shortcuts. Being a musician isn't a goal, it's a never-ending journey that starts from the moment an infant hums kicks their feet in response to some music and ends with celestial choirs. Enjoy the journey and avoid the appearant shortcuts, they don't lead anywhere. If you're a beginner, then be a beginner and learn all you can.

And, when you finally reach the point where other people call you a master player, you'll be fully aware of how little you know relative to the subject, and how far you have to go to be worthy of the accolade.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

I concur,

I have never found a Theory book that does a good job of TEACHING theory. However, I understand a user by the name of NoteBoat has a book that has been well received. I have never reviewed his book. But allow me to share my biased opinion.

I teach theory in a very progressive and easy to understand way. That said, I would not publish it in a book, no matter what, and I was in talks with 2 major music publishers a few years back, about this because of our success in teaching. That said, the flaw with theory in a book, in my opinion, is theory is best learned in discrete steps, where the student then has to respond, and apply it. A book is passive, and cannot force you to do so. But herein lies the rub: IMO, No book will help unless you are understanding and applying what you are learning. No teacher can help unless you practice while you are between sessions. You cannot ask questions of a book, you cannot get the book to explain something appropriate to your learning style.

In all those I have mentored, the number one complaint in understanding theory, has been the disconnect between "learning" something and then asking themselves "What do I do now with this information", and there always seems to be some pretty profound gaps attending their knowledge from head to hands.

I see most theory books as "factual", it's "This, this and this" but from the standpoint of making sure the student learns and won't get lost, in applying it, I think it's a much larger challenge. And I believe this is where so many students, get discouraged.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member

Two more suggestions to add to the list above.

For learning music theory in general in a dead-simple easy to understand manner, including how to be more impactful with your songwriting, I would recommend a book called "How music really works". It's quite large however.

For an explanation on how the guitar's standard tuning system allows for useful patterns on the fretboard that goes beyond CAGED, check out Richard Lloyd's Alchemical guitarist DVDs/manual. He honestly showed me a way to look at the guitar that I've not seen explained elsewhere.

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote