Score writing

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am looking into learning to write a score of some sort for a symphonic band/wind ensemble. Inspiration is not a problem, and my theory is fairly well grounded. I have a working under standing of chorale writing and harmonization, and am currently finishing up with 4th species counterpoint.

Any way I am greatly interested in writing a piece for symphonic band. I tend to go with darker, gothic type sounds when writing classical passages, so I think that is the type of basic sound I will go with for my piece. I greatly dislike most marches, and the only one I've ever liked was Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst (look that one up, it's fantastic). I also love most opera music, especially the concept of expressing dialauge and emotions through music.

But frankly I don't know where to start. From what I can tell from studying counterpoint and chorale harmonization, there are quite a few rules to follow when composing music, and I don't know if there are different rules and guidlines for writing each style of symphonic music.

Are there rules for concertos? What about multiple movement pieces?

I am very lost, and I really have no idea where to go next to further my education.

So, is there any score writing software, books, or materials that I should acquire? If so what are they? What kind of classical music format do you think will appeal to me ( I have no idea what the difference is between a concerto or a sostenuto etc.)? Please help me to get off on the right foot.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

(@rtb_chris)
Eminent Member

Form in Music by Wallace Berry is a great book that covers a wide variety of classical forms. It doesn't teach you how to compose in those forms, but it explains them as they've been (successfully) composed by others.

Orchestration by Walter Piston, or the book of the same name by Kent Kennan {EDIT: the complete title of the Kennan book is 'The Technique of Orchestration'}, would also be very useful for dealing with writing for ensembles.

Combine the material in those books with the background you've already got in harmony and counterpoint, and you should be all set.

8)

http://www.raisingthebarre.com

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks very much! :P

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote