Clear all

So a quick mode related question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So lets say somebody is playing just a vamp using a D min 7 chor, in D min 7 I could use:

D dorian scale ( C major scale notes)

D Phrygian ( Bb major scale notes watching out maybe for that Eb which is a minor 9th interval from D)

D Aeolian ( D minor scale same notes as F major )

I could use melodic minor, watching out for that C # but thats almost the same as D dorian except for the maj 7.

So these are all different flavors or colours to D minor, but lets say its a vamp using C maj 7 and D minor 7

So in C maj 7 I could use:

C Ionian ( just plain old major scale )

C Myxolidian ( G major scale notes, the F# in there is a tritone so it could be a nice dissonance )

C melodic minor watching out for the Eb, but again thats the same as the major scale minus the flatted 3rd

So lets say its 2 bars C maj 7 and 2 bars D min 7:I could do

first 4 bars in C major, then second time I get C maj I could use the C myxolidian and in the D min 7 I could use idk D dorian, and switch up flavors every time I am going to switch chord or something along the lines.

So everything I said is right, right ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes. And there are other possibilities too.

But I'd be careful with that last one - if you use a different scale each time through, it's really hard to construct a coherent solo. It's more likely to come out as a string of unrelated riffs.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

BTW when I said C Myxolidian I really meant C Lydian ( G major Scale ) Myxolidian would be F major scale with the Bb.

But I'd be careful with that last one - if you use a different scale each time through, it's really hard to construct a coherent solo. It's more likely to come out as a string of unrelated riffs
So what do I do ? Use a scale that is good for both chords and sometimes use a flavor, I'm going to need to practice doing that, because changing scales for each chord when its only one bar per chord is kinda complicated, not only for the fingers, but I have to be listening and counting out the beats while I solo.

I actually made a little line using the thing I was talking about starting in C Lydian and moving to D Phrygian, because all of those scales are mostly the same except for one note or two so what I did was just stress the note.

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/31c08e47e65baffa647e83e26c80605c64670001

So yeah make an account and look at it :P, I just stressed the F# when I was on Cmaj7 and then when I switched to D min 7 I stressed the Bb. Both those notes were tensiony, the F# was the b5 of C and the Bb was the b13 of D.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote