Clear all

solo's w/ octave pedals

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to learn a solo and the player is playing the e minor pentatonic from the twelth fret down with an octave pedal set 1 octave higher. Most of it is with the pedal on too.

The question is can I move everything up to the nut without the pedal and still acheive something that sounds right?

Thanks for any input

Mark :shock:

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

If he's playing it at the 12th WITH AN OCTAVE UP 1, that means if you play it at the nut, you'd need to shift it up 2 octaves.

And seeing as a shift is up a whole octave, all the notes will be the same, so it's up to you to judge what you mean by "sound like", because if you play it at the nut or at the 12th or at the 12th with a shift, they'll be the same notes and all saound similar to some extent.

So no. Either way you need an octave shift up from the 12th to get it to sound the same.

This of course doesn't pay respect to overtones and so on which will differ depending where you play on the string.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks I also found a tabbed version of the song without the pedal but still working at the 12th maybe that will help.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

The question is can I move everything up to the nut without the pedal and still acheive something that sounds right?

"Sounds right" is a very subjective and personal thing. Will it sound exactly like the recording? No. But, it may sound better, at least to you. I always try to make subtle changes to a song I am learning, to make it more "my own." Don't be afraid to make some changes to the the original, as long as you follow the general direction of the song.

ReplyQuote