Clear all

Theory Books: Basics to Advanced

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm getting pretty interested in theory lately, but the problem is I'm still a little shaky on quite a few of the basics. I would use the Lessons and all, but there's just something about trying to find the most basic of fundamentals through everything that's there that sort of hinders me. What I really need, and the way I've usually learned most of the things I do, is thorugh books that go from the most basic fundamentals, to the advanced things.

I was just wondering if anyone had some books that covered a lot of theory, from the basics like intervals and the like, to the advanced things, which I really have no conception of. I've read a few things about Music Theory for Guitars, Fretboard Logic, etc., but I don't know if someone would be able to tell me some books better suited to me.

Basically, have a vague understanding of what scales, chords, and everything are. Basically how songs are made accordingly to music theory, but there's a lot of things missing, like exaxtly what intervals are, what these, "circle of 5's", are and the like.

Hopefully someone can help.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might consider Noteboat's book, Music Theory for Guitarists. Check Nick's review of it here: Review. And you have the added advantage of being able to ask the author questions on these forums!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@furious_b)
Eminent Member

Well if you do some looking on the internet you can find your share of music theory.

Try:

http://www.cyberfret.com

I found alot of useful information there. The internet can be hard to find certain things in though. You could just go to your local music store and tell the person there what your looking for. Most music stores will be pretty helpful for that. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

You might consider Noteboat's book, Music Theory for Guitarists. Check Nick's review of it here: Review. And you have the added advantage of being able to ask the author questions on these forums!

Can I purchased a signed copy? (just in case he makes it too famous for us here).

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No such thing as too famous for GN (and who's the last famous guitar teacher you ever heard of, anyway?) :)

If you order through my website, there's an option for an autograph. There's a link in Nick's review that discounts the price a couple of bucks.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote