Theory/fretboard books

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there

I've recently moved house and haven't found a teacher yet. I am a beginner so whilst i find one i am learning from book and the web. The problem with the web though, is that there is too much info and knowing what's good and what's not, and putting it into some decent order can be difficult without some guidance.

I'm looking for guitar theory book that is written clearly and simply. It must start off assuming no musical knowledge, but must then go into comprehensive detail. It must cover muscial theory, scale construction, how and when to use scales, how the scales integrate with each other scales and chords etc.

My aim is to have a comprehensive working knowledge of the guitar. Is there a book out there that covers all of this? I found a book called Chord Master by Rikky Rooksby that provides the above for chords - a very good book that explains all sorts of chords, how they're made, when they're used, how and to use them, progressions etc. I just need a similar book for scale now.

I saw a review of "Guitar fretboard workbook" - anyone got this? Would this answer my questions?

Thank you for your suggestions.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Music Theory For Guitarists

This book's written by one of our leading members, Noteboat, who's recently opened his own music school - comes highly recommended. Don't take my word for it, read the review - better still, read the review, and then look at some of the clear, concise, well thought out answers he's given to questions in the guitar & music theory forum.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

The following book is also essential in explaining Music Theory applied to the guitar: this is my review from another subject:

I bought Mike Christiansen's Fingerboard Theory for Guitar from Mel Bay which I found quite excellent .What it's special about this book is that the theory is applied for guitar students only. I learned many tips from this book and It has many topics: It teaches the fundamentals but it also covers other territory essential for a guitarist like intervals, inverted intervals,scales, the modes, drop 2 chords,harmonizing melodies,secondary dominants, chord substitutions, even quartal harmony. For its price I think it's excellent to give you a good scope about theory. Take a look (you can even check the contents of the book : just click in the book icon) :

http://www.amazon.com/Fingerboard-Theory-Guitar-Music-Guitarists/dp/0786665831/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224590164&sr=8-1

All the best
Roberto

ReplyQuote