Clear all

Tuning in different Hertz

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What exactly is the purpose of different hertz tuning?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I second that post!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The purpose of any specific tuning is to get instruments in tune with each other. Not all countries endorse A=440, and some conductors have a preference for a different standard pitch.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This might be a dumb question, but I'll give it a shot. Say the bass instruments are tuned to 440, would the treble instruments be tuned to a different hertz so the overtones played by the treble instruments sound more in tune with the bass?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

440Hz is a standard pitch. It is the American "concert A". The other octaves all relate to that base pitch. The next lower octave is at 220Hz, again the A. Dropping down another octave you get 110Hz. Going deeper you hit the low E, on a guitar, at 82.4Hz.

Even though they are much lower in pitch than the "A", all the instruments are tuned to relate to the tone, even though they may be 2 or 3 octaves lower (or higher)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Once again, a timely topic. I played at church today and as we were getting ready someone asked whether I tuned to 440 or 442. I said 440, though I felt like Michael Keaton in Mr. Mom (or was it Gung Ho) when asked if he was doing his wiring in 110. He said "110, 120, whatever."

Is there a 442 (other than an ancient Oldsmobile)?

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup, I've heared the Wiener Philharmoniker has/still played in 444hz. In any way: 99% of modern pop music is in 440, and as long as everyone is using the same one it doesn't really matter.

The only time I ever tuned it to anything else then 440 was for a little 'song' I recorded, where I tuned the guitar to 437 (IIRC) and had a synth bass part in 440. The guitar is also playing looped in a different tempo then the rest, which makes it both out of key and out of time. Sounded exactly the way I wanted it to sound, although of all the people who've heared it about four people didn't downright hate it. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

This might be a dumb question, but I'll give it a shot. Say the bass instruments are tuned to 440, would the treble instruments be tuned to a different hertz so the overtones played by the treble instruments sound more in tune with the bass?
Pianos usually have the lower notes tuned flatter. It's called stretch tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

Yup, I've heared the Wiener Philharmoniker has/still played in 444hz. In any way: 99% of modern pop music is in 440, and as long as everyone is using the same one it doesn't really matter.

Yes, that's right.
as far as i know it's because it sounds brighter or something like that

btw: am i the only one that likes to tune just the low E string a bit above 440?
of course it depends what I want to play
to me it sounds somehow a bit mor agressiv
anyone else? :oops:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

To me it simply sounds detuned and dissonant... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

Yes, but I somehow like it. I can't even tell you exactly why.
Maybe I'm just crazy or something... :wink:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

i tune competely by ear, by what my singing is in usually. But if i tune too low my voice starts to hertz. (wow been hanging arounf the theory humor thread too long)

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

i tune competely by ear, by what my singing is in usually. But if i tune too low my voice starts to hertz. (wow been hanging arounf the theory humor thread too long)

I second that :D

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote