urgent help re Paint it Black

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

one for Noteboat maybe ?

anyway i now have the sheet music for Paint it Black. Its in Fm from looking at it.

all i am doing is trying to identify the melody line for the verse.

the sheet has three lines of music on it. One immediately above the words which seems to imply a melody of F G A B A G FFF E F G F E.

then theses a line that doesn't change notes at all, its just repeated.
then a second line which I don't get at all.

I am trying to understand Vic's post in the ESD on this song, its transposed into Dm and capoed at fret 3. So, is the actual melody changed at all? Do i play the same melody whether uncapoed and in Fm or capoed at 3 and in Dm?

really confused as the melody above doesn't seem to be implied by vic's post yet it sounds pretty close to the record.

help!

Matt

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

sorry just spotted the flats in the clef.

the melody is therefore
F G Ab Bb Ab G F F F E F G

also should the E be an E#???????

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

sorry just spotted the flats in the clef.

the melody is therefore
F G Ab Bb Ab G F F F E F G

also should the E be an E#???????

More likely: Eb

The scale of F minor: F G Ab Bb C D Eb

If a tune is in F minor you can put a capo on the third fret and play the chord shapes as if it were in D minor. The D minor shape will become an F minor, the A minor shape becomes a C minor, etc.

However, you have to realize that using a capo is a trick. If you play a solo and you hit the first string, fifth fret it still is an A note, no matter where you put the capo.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No, its definitely in Fm. There's 4 flats in the clef.

thanks though!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sheet music is usually written in three staves (that's the plural of 'staff'), with the upper treble clef line for the vocal melody. The other two staves, one in treble and one in bass clef, are the piano music.

So you've probably got a top line for the vocal ("I see a red door..."), a second treble line that probably matches the vocal, but played on the piano, and a bass clef for the piano's left hand. All three lines are performed at the same time - there's probably a set of braces at the left hand side of the three lines that join them all together.

If you capo on the 3rd fret and play Dm fingerings, you're playing in F minor, so that seems to match your sheet music. So your notes won't change - but your fingering will.

Bear in mind that the guitar sounds an octave lower than written, so to play it in pitch with the vocals, you could do something like this:

e -------6---------------------
B -6-8-9---9-8-6-6-6---6-8-6---
G ---------------------8-------8-

So you'll play the notes on those frets with or without the capo. If you were to play it an octave lower, it looks different... without the capo you might do:

e ---------
B ---------
G ---0-1-3-
D -3-------
etc.

But with a capo you don't have open or first string notes, so it would change to:

e ---------
B ---------
G -------0-
D -0-2-3---

make sense?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

yeah, cheers Noteboat, much appreciated.

I had almost sussed it myself once I realised there were some flats in there.

thanks a lot

MATT

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

One thing to note with this song is that it was recorded on instruments that weren't tuned to exact notes - they were all in tune with each other of course, but the notes were somewhere in between standard tuning, if you see what I mean.

There's a few plugins for things like winamp that will change pitch without affecting tempo, they're invaluable for playing along to this particular song.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote