Clear all

where to put capo for key of Eb?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
13.3 K Views
(@archon)
Topic starter  

Ive been playing guitar for almost 6 years now. but having taught myself i dont know much theory behind the music i create...

i also play the didgeridoo and my didj happens to be a key of Eb didj.

so, my question is: where would i put my capo so i could play standard chord formations in the key of Eb? i know what chords are in the key of Eb (but many of those chords are not extremely fun to play :lol: )

thanks in advance

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Capo on 1 and play in D
Capo on 4 and play in C
Capo on 6 and play in A
Capo on 8 and play in G
Capo on 11 and play in E

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just to flesh out what kingpatzer said. If you put a capo on the first fret and play the chord sequence as if you were playing in the key of D (e.g. a I-IV-V would be D-G-A). Raising them by one half tone (which is what the capo on the 1st fret does) results in Eb-Ab-Bb.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have to admit though I think my first instinct would be to tune down half a step and play in E.
And welcome to the musical madhouse.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

As a jazz guy, I think it would be even better to just develop the chording skill to play in Eb in an un-capo'ed, un-detuned instrument. Eb is a very important key for Jazz and other ensemble pieces because lots of horns are in Eb and it's easier for all the C instrument to play in Eb than for the Eb instruments to play in C.

However, if I had to choose between detunine and a capo, I'd go capo. My reasoning being that I could snap the capo off and be back to a C instrument, thus making it easier on myself over retuning hte instrument.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@archon)
Topic starter  

thanks a lot guys

kingpatzer i have indeed learned the key of Eb chords :)

and as you stated switching between a C and Eb instrument for me is key (sorry)

peace

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I never have figured out the point of those transposed instruments. Why couldn't they just write their music the way it plays? Especially since they're normally played in bands!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I never have figured out the point of those transposed instruments. Why couldn't they just write their music the way it plays? Especially since they're normally played in bands!

I've come to the conclussion that the entire point is so horn players can feel superior in their highly developed ability to transpose anything in their head :)

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

I've come to the conclussion that the entire point is so horn players can feel superior in their highly developed ability to transpose anything in their head :)

Or that horn players who haven't looked at the music before rehearsal have an excuse for playing poorly...

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@dongoats)

@kingpatzer Hey, where did you get your info? that applies to Eb, but I'd like a reference for all the keys on guitar if possible

ReplyQuote