Skip to content
Yngwie Malmsteen st...

Notifications
Clear all

Yngwie Malmsteen style lick - how are the notes grouped?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shreddinedi)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I hope I have this question in the right section.

It relates to the 8 bar (I think) ascending run starting at 53 seconds at this link - note that the video is set to start at the 53 second mark for your convenience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZWUOsm9VGU&feature=player_embedded#t=53s

Here are my questions:

1) What is the time signature of the backing track (I am assuming 4/4)?

2) What is the BPM of the track (Is it 80 or 160 perhaps?)

3) I can't get my head around how the beat is being subdivided for this lick. It appears that the first part of the lick (6 notes cycling 3 times) is spread across two beats which means 9 notes per beat, same for the next position of the lick, and then transferring to 6 notes per beat for the remainder of the run.

Is this correct? Doesn't seem right for some reason. Maybe the track is actually 240bpm (??) and then he is playing triplets or soemthing?

Really appreciate any help on this one. It is probably a bit easier if you own the DVD as he goes through the actual lick, but he doesn't go through the beat subdivision or how to play it acrosss the track so it will lock in with the beat.

I want to nail this lick but in doing that I want to be able to play it across the beat correctly.

Thanks for any assistance.

(@alangreen)

Yes, it's in 4/4

Tempo is around the 160 bpm mark - I think you've confused the use of the snare with the beat.

The note grouping starts in triplets and then gets more concentrated. I notice the video's from the Lick Library collection - what does it say about note groupings in the book?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@shreddinedi)
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for the reply. Has cleared a few things up.

Unfortunatley the Lick Library product is DVD only - it did not come with any books / tab / sheet music.

I will keep tapping it out and see if I can get the notes to fit a pattern.

Any other insights much appreciated!

ReplyQuote