14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
15.4 K Views
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

he's only gone and done it again!!!

this is one of my favourite Neil Young songs, so thank you David.

For those that are interested there's a great clip of Young playing this (on piano with harmonica) on Youtube.com. Just put "after the goldrush" into the search and you'll get it - along with verse three sung by Radiohead's Thom Yorke on a seperate clip.

great song, great lesson, thanks so much

Matt

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just one question on this.

On the 4th line, 3rd measure, Dabid says that the basic fingering is a Cmaj7 - but the tab shows the bass on the 4th fret, not the 3rd fret, of the A string.

Is this right??? I haven't got a guitar with me to try it out before someone replies "play it and find out..."

thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

David,

Thank for the lesson - After the Gold Rush. This has been one of my favorite Neil Young tunes ever since the group Prelude recorded the a'cappella version in the early 70's :!:

I can't wait to get into the lesson 8)

Thanks you for all you do to educate us in playing guitar.

BS :D

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

On the 4th line, 3rd measure, Dabid says that the basic fingering is a Cmaj7 - but the tab shows the bass on the 4th fret, not the 3rd fret, of the A string.

That's a typo (and that's what I get for writing these at four in the morning... :wink: ) and it should read the third fret of the A string. The reason it doesn't is because some old bald fool forgot to put a natural sign on the corresponding C note in the notation.

On a side note, thanks for reading the text and sussing things out. You'd be amazed at how many people only "look at the pictures" as it were...

Glad you all like the lesson and thanks for the kudos. I'll try to get that fixed as soon as I can.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Thanks a lot for this Dave!!

it's exactly the way i want to play this song.

jane

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Another awesome lesson from another great song. Fantastic job.

Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Great song. Great lesson, David is the Master.
Grew up with Neil Young and After the Gold Rush and Harvest were two of my favorite albums.

Gotta say though those double hammer on's and pick-offs of the D chord are difficult for me to make sound at the same volume level as the picked notes on my acoustic. Anyone else having this problem? I don't have probs with single h/o p/o. I guess practice practice practice.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@lumpi)

I had the same problem, with hammer on's and pull-offs. For the hammer on's, the notes sounded louder when I hit the strings exactly in the middle, between the frets. For to the pull-offs, I pulled my finger fingers a little towards me (or towards the lower strings) while moving the fingertips off the fretboard. By doing this I plucked the strings a little with the fingertips of my left (fretting) hand which made the notes sound louder. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@kuviasuktok)

Maybe its just me but I don't think the tab matches the mp3 immediately after the 2 note lead-in for line 2. I don't mind the tab being off (if it is) but if I play this as tabbed and it doesn't sound the same as the mp3, I think its something I'm doing wrong. After the D and e notes I don't hear a strum and base note following like the rest of line 2 or line 1. Maybe I'm fine playing it as tabbed, I don't know. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I understand what this lesson is about and once I get this down I'm hoping to apply the lesson to other "piano" based songs.

Many thanks

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Not sure where you think the problem may be. I just gave it a listen and the MP3 (we're talking example #4, which is "Line Two," right?) does follow the notation. There is a deviation at the very end of the second measure, where a single A note in the bass is played instead of the A chord shown in the notation, but everything else is fine.

Could it be that this example is fingerpicked instead of strummed with a picl? Let me know where exactlyin the lesson the difficulty is and I'll try to figure out what's wrong and help you out.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@kuviasuktok)

Thank you David for your reply. I can hear now that it might have been fingerpicked because I hear the D chord notes (on the GBe strings) and the base note almost on top of each other. I'll try that.

Thank you for all these lessons, they are a gift. And ... like you say - peace!

ReplyQuote
(@polly9999)

hello there

Would love to learn to play this song. the chord sheet is missing from the archive section in the lesson. Can I ask anyone who has the chord sheet to email to me at [email protected]? thanks in advance.
Paul :D

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

All the chords and sheets had to be taken down for legal reasons. in the news section there is a rather large thread discussing the whole thing.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@polly9999)

Thanks Joe.
Received an email from Dave.

Thanks

ReplyQuote