25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
25.2 K Views
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

jerrie4fingers writes:
Hey David et al.,

It is a beautiful arrangement. Spine-tingling to be sure. I hope I can still ask a question about a year + late - considering the date of publication. It's more of a favor I guess. I have line one and most of line two down pretty pat. But, after that, I get fairly well lost. I get confused about what version you are textually explaining and what version corresponds to the MP3. Would it be possible at some point to post just the 4 lines of TAB that you are playing (so nicely) on the MP3?

Thanks for all your work. It's like Christmas all year round with you guys giving away so many presents. Merry Christmas,

Marty

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@steelstring)
Eminent Member

First of all .. Thank you very much for this lesson David.

I am addicted to this song .. so i spent hours and hours practicing it. But know it goes fluid .. except one thing, i don't know how to count it - Means I never played a song at 3/4 measure in my whole life. So I don't understand why the count starts at 3 - it's a foolish question maybe .. but i don't know how to describe it another way.

Thanks in Advance,

Steelstring

And were an epitaph be my story,
I'd have a short one ready for my own,
I would have written on me on my stone:
I had a Lover's Quarrel with the world.

(Robert Lee Frost)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

... except one thing, i don't know how to count it - Means I never played a song at 3/4 measure in my whole life. So I don't understand why the count starts at 3 - it's a foolish question maybe .. but i don't know how to describe it another way.

Thanks in Advance,

Steelstring

And thank you for your kind words, sir!

Starting on three actually has nothing to do with the song being in 3/4 time as it has to do with being a pickup note. Not all songs begin on the first beat. Some songs start on the second or third or fourth beat (if it's 4/4 time) of a measure and some even start on the various half beats.

Take, for example, When The Saints Go Marching In, which is in 4/4 time. If you sing this in your head, you can hear the downbeat (the first beat of any given measure) fall squarely on the word "Saints." In order to do that with this melody, you need to start the first line on the second beat:

(1) (2)Oh (3)when (4)the (1)saints...

The words "oh when the" are considered "pickup notes," notes that start before the first full measure of the song. Now you could play something on the first beat, but the convention is to start your count an additional measure ahead, like so:

(1)(2)(3)(4)(1) (2)Oh (3)when (4)the (1)saints...

Amazing Grace works the same way, only it's in 3/4 time and you're only concerned with one beat for the pickup note:

(1)(2)(3)(1)(2)(3)A---(1)maz--(2)--(3)ing---(1)grace--

If you listen closely to any CD or record you have at hand, chances are likely you're going to hear at least one example of a song with a pickup note (or notes).

So, in a nutshell, count to three like you normally would and simply rest for "one" and "two."

Hope this helps. And again, thanks for the kudos.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@steelstring)
Eminent Member

Now I understand! Thank you David!

And were an epitaph be my story,
I'd have a short one ready for my own,
I would have written on me on my stone:
I had a Lover's Quarrel with the world.

(Robert Lee Frost)

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Sorry to be a pain, but is there a tablesson for this in standard tuning, I would really like to play the version from the Maverick soundtrack.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to be a pain, but is there a tablesson for this in standard tuning, I would really like to play the version from the Maverick soundtrack.
It seems that the song was sung by Joy Lynn White, maybe you can find some tab or sheet music, somewhere.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

It seems that the song was sung by Joy Lynn White, maybe you can find some tab or sheet music, somewhere.
The version I mean is by 'The Maverick Choir' - Mel Gibson, Reba McIntyre, Travis Tritt and others and is a very upbeat countryrocky version. Can't find a tabchords anywhere, but guess it's the usual chords, just need to figure the strum and the intro?

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Does the subject lesson located:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/amazing-grace/

considered a beginners lesson or an intermediate lesson.

I've chosen this tune for my first public performance and thanks to David's written tutorial I feel pretty confident after working with it for a week :)

The reason for the question is to gauge myself where I am at in the learning process :?

B.S.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I think there's quite a bit in this lesson that qualifies it as more "intermediate" than "beginner." Especially the double-hammer-ons / pull-offs.

Good luck with the performance, Bob. Be sure to post a "gig report" in the "News" section. Wish I could be there to listen!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

David,

Thanks for the response - I will let you know the outcome of my humble attempt to do justice to your lesson.

B.S.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2