Skip to content
Augmented Diminishe...

Notifications
Clear all

Augmented Diminished Dementia (Discussion)

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

First, Dave, I would like to say that I enjoyed your article, especially the voice leading on how to use the augs and dims as transition chords.

Sorry, Dave, but a diminished triad is not a half diminished. It is just a diminished triad no matter how many times you stack up the notes. A "half" diminished is a 7th chord. It is the classical name for m7b5 (jazz term).

So that we're all on the same page a Major 7th would be 1 3 5 7 out of the major scale. A "fully" diminished 7th chord would be 1 b3 b5 bb7 and a "half" diminished would be 1 b3 b5 7. Compare this to the m7 and you'll see why jazzers use their name -- 1 b3 5 b7. Actually, I found that using the jazzer name makes it quicker for me to find the half diminished chord on both piano and guitar, since my hand naturally gravitates toward m7 chords anyway.

Good luck!

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

and a "half" diminished would be 1 b3 b5 7

Shouldn't that be 1 b3 b5 b7?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Jstar

You're absolutely right and my apologies! Totally figures - I didn't want beginners to get mixed up with the potential confusion in terms and I end up doing more confusion.

I'll try to get the text changed ASAP and, with your permission, of course, I'd like to include your explanation in the next newsletter.

Thanks

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

First, yes, it should be 1 b3 b5 b7   :-[ for the half diminished/m7b5 chord.  Unfortunately, I hit reset by accident instead of preview just as I had finished writing it originally and retyped it as fast as I could before I forgot what I said, so I inadvertantly wrote this wrong the second time through.  Sorry I missed it in the
proof reading.  :(

Dave, you're sweet.  My words are yours if you want them, though I'm sure you could explain it just as well.
:)

Music is therapy. Music is celebration. Music is everywhere. Music is life!

ReplyQuote