Clear all

Chords/ Horse with No Name

67 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
43.6 K Views
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

So, are we going to continue on lesson 1 for a while longer, or will we be moving on to something else?  If we move on to something else, will it by Horse #2, or For What It's Worth?

I can hang out on this lesson for a while (trying to get the singing/strumming coordinated), but I was curious.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member

I am still working a bit on getting the singing while playing down on this one, but it is realy just practicing needed.

Actually I have been sitting around waiting for the next one. I had a look at horsie 2, and it seamd a bit complicated, and not very fun. There are also a lot of excercises to do. I think I lay my vote on For What It's Worth, more bang for the bucks sort of.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

New discussion will start Sunday. No fair peeking ahead!   ;)

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@trudolfs)
Eminent Member

Sorry, but I think its your own quote "You know how beginners are" ;D

But by all means, suprise us on Sunday and leave us looking like :o

/zc

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

So, Discussions start every other Sunday??  Is there somewhere I can find the rules?

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

I'm actually working on starting them every Sunday, since that will work well in other ways (posting it in the newsletter as well as on the boards).

The "rules" are still being hammered out. I'm very open to suggestions on these. IM or email me (or Nick or Musenfruend) directly if you've got suggestions.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

need a little clarification in section:
FILLING IN THE BOTTOM (and sides!)

Em chord chart has an upstroke after the bass note & the MP3 indicates downstroke after the bass note

is the Em chord
down (bass note) then up/down/up for chords?

David: at some level aren't you glad we're paying this much attention to every little detail ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

David: at some level aren't you glad we're paying this much attention to every little detail

I think that my readers would make great editors!   ;)

Okay, it's a definite typo. Should be:

Beat one - bass note

Beat two - Em chord (downstroke)

Beat three - rest followed by Em chord (upstroke)

Beat four - Em chord (downstroke and upstroke)

In other words:

Bass  -  Down  -  Up  -  Down  -  Up

If anyone else needs me I'll be lying down wondering what else I've messed up!   ;)

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry, you won't be laid down worrying for long - some kind GN user is sure to be around soon with something else.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

"wondering what else I've messed up" - nonsense

You must be doing something right because at least I suspected it might be a typo, whereas a couple months ago it wouldn't even have occurred to me. My goal is to someday have such an understanding that I'll know what you mean -  even if it isn't what is written.

Is it better to have someone point out a mistake or to think everything is fine because no one is paying attention? That is the question. (The latter is too much like my job. ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Don't worry about me taking that seriously. I mean I do take it seriously, but you know...

On second thought, maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!  ;)

I actually do appreciate hearing from people about mistakes because I know that I don't always catch them all. And that's quite an understatement!

So, don't not tell me!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hey folks,
I'm copying a query from another member.  Here is Zeph's post:

zeph

Horse with No Name Solo
« on: Oct 9th, 2003, 6:12pm »
Huh I am trying to play the Horse With No Name solo as in the article. It doesn't sound right. I am trying the first example. I know how to read music and tablature so that's not it.  

Any one else learned this? I am an old guy trying to learn again. By the way, this site is great.  

Zeph

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I'd say it's our job as readers to go through lessons and test them.  Ask questions if something is unclear.  That's the only way lessons will be corrected.  Further, if a a few readers point out some ambiguities/errors and they get corrected that means future readers get a better product.  To me, that's awesome.

David, can't quit while you're ahead.  We'd all have to protest!  I have Nick and Alan on retainer.  If you quit they are on direct orders to storm you Chicago bungalo, chain your feet to your computer and keep you writin'.  Provisions have been made to have several guitars within a ten-foot reach so you'll still have some time to play and not go insane.

;)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member

thanks for the mp3 on horse with no name. i think i can finally play it. at least i thought i did before i looked at this thread. i haven't tried singing with it yet.  i'll have to see if i can keep up the rhythmn while singing.

jane

formerly "new writer" until someone said they didn't like my name

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I know this is a really old thread, but I got a guitar this past christmas, and just wanted to pass on that Horse has been a bit of a life saver for me.  I was bored with the 'how to read music' lessons in the book I got, and was getting frustrated with my fingers for hurting, and difficult (for me) chord changes.  And then I found Guitar Noise!  'Horse' is a lot of fun, and when ever I get frustrated, I stop whatever I'm doing and start playing it.

Thanks!

ta, Kelsey

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5