Clear all

Driver Eight

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

(Shocked that there is no topic for this song yet...)

Just a quick question about the 4th line of the bridge (which sound I love, btw). I always try to make even my open chords work with 3 fingers (middle, ring, pinky) so I can move the sequence up and down with a barre to fit any key. But I'm finding the transition from D-DSus4-D-DSus2 to be just brutal without use of the index finger on the 3rd string. I plant the middle finger on string 3 fret 2, but the ring/pinky sequence on strings 1 & 2 is just Keystone Cops. I can't tuck my pinky up under my ring onto string 1, which means I have to keep moving each finger back and forth across strings 1 & 2, and frets 2 & 3. Which is a shame, because it breaks up what is otherwise a very cool sound when played smoothly (and is a big reason I'd like to be able to move this up the fretboard).

Any suggestions? Or is this just a sequence that doesn't lend itself to smooth barre playing?

(@davidhodge)

The easiest answer isn't all that easy for most, but it may be for you since you're already used to making barre chords up the neck.

You can go with the "A shaped" D barre chord and then use the following fingerings:

D - x5777x
Dsus4 - x5778x
Dsus2 - x5775x

By avoiding both the high and low E strings, you'll have the same notes as the open D, Dsus4 and Dsus2 chords.

And, just as a teacher, I do have to say that there are going to be instances where you'll need all four fingers for an open position chord (C7 comes to mind), so it truly wouldn't hurt to get used to making these chords in the "regular" format. You don't lose anything by doing so. In fact you gain the ability to change fingers at your beck and call.

Hope this helps and I'm also surprised that there isn't a thread on this one already. :wink: Love this song!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I can manage that, though it isn't a breeze (I have better luck doing a mini-barre with middle finger on 7 to form the full A-shape, but have to use both middle and ring to make the Sus2 without muting the 2nd string).

Of course, now I need to work on moving the surrounding bars (at least) up the neck to smooth the transition, but I like that kind of challenge, anyway. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@brfoster)

I also have a question about this lesson. In the last bar of the introduction there is tab notation I am not familiar with. Something like this:

|
|

What does this mean?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That's a mistake in the notation software. For some reason, it stuck stems on the tablature notes. The tab for the last measure should look like this:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - 0 - - - - - 0 - - - - - 0 - - - - - 0 - - - -
G - - - - - 0 - - - - - 0 - - - - - 0 - - - - - 0 - - - -
D - - 5 - - - - - 4 - - - - - 2 - - - - - 0 - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope this clears things up. And welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way! Hope you enjoy the site.

Peace

ReplyQuote