Clear all

Guide to 12 String Guitar w/ Allmans "Melissa" lesson

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Haven't seen this lesson mentioned here before, and in fact I found it by accident while googling for info on 12-string guitars.

David Hodge did an excellent article on that topic, and at the end is a lesson on the Allman Brothers' classic "Melissa." You may not be familiar with the title, but chances are you've heard the song (it's in a current TV commercial.)

It's a great way to learn some simple strumming techniques, and I'd highly recommend listening to Hodge's MP3s - he breaks things up a bit and adds some nice arpeggiation too.

Don't worry - you do not need a 12-string axe to learn from and enjoy this lesson! I actually like to play it with my electric guitar, amp set to clean, with chorus and delay effects - sounds cool to me.

Enjoy!

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=75

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Thanks, thats really cool.. I've wanted to play that song but was too lazy to find a tab.. :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You're welcome.

I just realized the mods changed the title of my post! :lol: Originally it was just "Hodge's version of Melissa" or something like that referencing the song. Oh well; rules are rules.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi Mitch

I tried to fix the title for you. Let's see if this works.

By the bye, thanks for the kudos on this. It's one of my favorites to play.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yeah, the Allman Brothers kick arse! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rcadian)

Can you explain in a bit more detail how to play the end of line 5, please...

In the lesson during the relevant attached MP3 file, David says, "Now we are going to play lines three and four into line 5 and then back to the intro." At the end of line 5 it goes E F#m G#m F#m but it sounds arpeggiated rather than three single beats on the final three chords... Am I right? And if so, how is that played...Or if I'm wrong, what do I do?

Thanks,

Rc

ReplyQuote